Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Appel Farm Festival
scottiei
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2006-6-5 at 01:14 PM
Appel Farm Festival

Just a quick review from the Fountains of Wayne set this past Saturday (6/3/06) at the Appel Fesitval in Elmer NJ.

Luckily the rain had tapered off early in the afternoon and the last few bands of the festival got to perform in dry weather (speaking of which, Toad the Wet Sprocket were great !!!).

Finally Fountains of Wayne hit the stage at about 7:30 (about 15-20 min late as there was some sort of equipment problem with the keyboard or one of the amps or something... took a while to get it all settled out). First thing to point out was that Jody was not there!! Chris commented about halfway through the set that a buddy of theirs' (whose name I don't remember) was filling in because Jody was having family problems. Hope all is well with him. Anyways, here was the setlist (I THINK this is in the right order):

Radiation Vibe
Mexican Wine
Denise
Barbara H
Janice's Party
Red Dragon Tattoo
It Must Be Summer
Hackensack
Hey Julie
Leave the Biker
Stacy's Mom
Maureen
Joe Rey
Bright Future in Sales
Sink to the Bottom
---------------------
Half a Woman
I've Got a Flair

First, the crowd was told they had to sit and not block the view of anyone behind them (it was like all beach blankets and lawn chairs). Even though Adam pleaded for people to get up, they pretty much stayed seated until Joe Rey, which got the crowd all riled up and people more or less "rushed the stage." So from Joe Rey until the end, it was like a huge party with lots of very young kids, middle-aged folks, and even some old people dancing and singing along. A lot of fun. From a performance stand point, they've been better. The new guitarist was very good but you could tell he probably learned the songs rather recently as he was having some trouble with some of the leads and solos (most notably Mexican Wine, which was a bit of a mess). Though all in all, he did hold his own. Chris' voice seemed to be a bit strained. He even refered to it late in the set by saying that he was starting to sound like Bea Arthur, and Adam sang some of the lead vocals on Bright Future. However, all things like that aside, they seemed to be in pretty good spirits and the crowd definitely ate it up...and the sound in the crowd was very good! I had a great time!
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2006-6-6 at 11:35 AM

Bea Arthur! :lol:

I hope everything is okay with Jody. The last year has seemed to be filled with problems for him. :meh:

JustTheGirl
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2006-6-6 at 05:05 PM

Wait, what's going on w/ Jody?!
Stuporcollider
Head Bottle Washer

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2006-6-6 at 05:18 PM
Way too Far

I can't stand it that Fountains of Wayne only performs soo faaaar awy that I am not able to atend. I can only imagine how Sherb feels.........
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2006-6-6 at 05:27 PM

That's a great review, I almost feel like I was there. :thumbs:

Many thanks!

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
reconmarine
Lost in Space

Mood: Peachy

[*] posted on 2006-6-7 at 08:38 AM

I have some pics of the Appel Farm gig. How do I get these to you so you can post them? Just let me know and I'll get them to you asap!!!!
Dreske
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2006-6-7 at 03:31 PM

hmm...If Jody wasn't there then I'm not jealous. Glad to hear Toad was good. I'm seeing them in July. Woo Hoo!

Still my guitar gently weeps
Chat
Half a Woman

[*] posted on 2006-6-7 at 06:14 PM
Appel Farm

I was there too and it was a lot of fun, though the sound wasn't the best.

Chris said Jody was dealing with some family problems and couldn't make it. Their stand in was named John and, for those keeping score at home, a total cutie. Sort of looked like Andy Chase (at least from a distance).

Hometown connection: Adam said he had gone to summer camp at Appel Farm when he was about 9 (it's a performing arts camp).
PleaseWithC
Minister of Putting things on Top of Other Things

Mood: Wiiing it Up

[*] posted on 2006-6-7 at 06:42 PM

You can email the pics to fountain@fountainsofwayne.us if you want them on the site.

meg
Lost in Space

[*] posted on 2006-6-8 at 08:23 PM

Jon Skibic, formerly of Gigolo Aunts, played some dates with Fountains last summer, so I guess he was the fill-in this time around. Awesome review.
PleaseWithC
Minister of Putting things on Top of Other Things

Mood: Wiiing it Up

[*] posted on 2006-6-9 at 05:45 PM

Thanks fr the pictures! Thumbnails and links are up at http://www.fountainsofwayne.us/pics/gallery.php?pics=live&su...

vtchuck
Lost in Space

[*] posted on 2006-6-24 at 12:50 PM

Looks like Jon Skibic will be with them through the summer, so they will not be playing "previews" of any of the 14 new songs slated for the new album.

Go To Top