Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "fountains of wayne hotline"
yonan
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2005-10-18 at 12:39 AM
"fountains of wayne hotline"

i saw in iTunes there's this guy Robbie Fulks with a song called "Fountains Of Wayne Hotline". so i googled around and here's what i found:

http://www.redeyeusa.com/view_article.php?article_id=2389
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display....

"Robbie Fulks: "Fountains of Wayne Hotline" originated as a travel game in our van. "Welcome Interstate Managers" had just come out, and I guess it was the band's super-competency and amazing consistency that made me imagine them as operators of a crisis hotline for songwriters. In our game one of us would place an emergency call for counseling, and a member of a large bureaucratic labyrinth, usually harried and gruff, would offer a solution based on time-honored Fountains of Wayne techniques. Grant, our guitarist, excelled at the mean-spirited drones, and occasionally a different kind of Hotline character would pop up, like one of the perky-beyond-all-reason types that were drummer Gerald's specialty. Just another of those things that turns grimly incomprehensible in the telling...but, for whatever reason, it was amusing enough that I codified it as a song a little while later."

if anybody downloaded the song, let me know how it is :)
Dougjack
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2005-10-21 at 05:07 AM

It's GREAT!! Pretty funny, and Robbie Fulks sounds so much like Chris its uncanny! I don't find it hurtful towards Fountains of Wayne at all, but it does suggest they have a "style". Strongly recommend everybody give a listen if you get a chance.

:clap::clap:
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2005-10-21 at 06:33 PM

Haha! What a funny song. :cheers: I like it.

Dreske
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2005-10-24 at 03:49 PM

Are you sure it's not Chris under the name Robbie Fulks? This guy is obviously a big fan. I liked it enough to download it to my ipod.

Still my guitar gently weeps
Fonsecn
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2011-3-31 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yonan
i saw in iTunes there's this guy Robbie Fulks with a song called "Fountains Of Wayne Hotline". so i googled around and here's what i found:
"Robbie Fulks: "Fountains of Wayne Hotline" originated as a travel game in our van. "Welcome Interstate Managers" had just come out, and I guess it was the band's super-competency and amazing consistency that made me imagine them as operators of a crisis hotline for songwriters. In our game one of us would place an emergency call for counseling, and a member of a large bureaucratic labyrinth, usually harried and gruff, would offer a solution based on time-honored Fountains of Wayne techniques. Grant, our guitarist, excelled at the mean-spirited drones, and occasionally a different kind of Hotline character would pop up, like one of the perky-beyond-all-reason types that were drummer Gerald's specialty. Just another of those things that turns grimly incomprehensible in the telling...but, for whatever reason, it was amusing enough that I codified it as a song a little while later."

It's GREAT!! Pretty funny, and Robbie Fulks sounds so much like Chris its uncanny! I don't find it hurtful towards Fountains of Wayne at all, but it does suggest they have a "style". Strongly recommend everybody give a listen if you get a chance.
Florence56
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2011-7-25 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonsecn
Quote:
Originally posted by yonan
Robbie Fulks: "Fountains of Wayne Hotline" originated as a travel game in our van. "Welcome Interstate Managers" had just come out, and I guess it was the band's super-competency and amazing consistency that made me imagine them as operators of a crisis hotline for songwriters. In our game one of us would place an emergency call for counseling, and a member of a large bureaucratic labyrinth, usually harried and gruff, would offer a solution based on time-honored Fountains of Wayne techniques. Grant, our guitarist, excelled at the mean-spirited drones, and occasionally a different kind of Hotline character would pop up, like one of the perky-beyond-all-reason types that were drummer Gerald's specialty. Just another of those things that turns grimly incomprehensible in the telling...but, for whatever reason, it was amusing enough that I codified it as a song a little while later."

List of the pros and cons by the song and many people listen for
this song. They are really like this song.
jferry2
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2011-8-3 at 04:43 PM

I love this song. Stephen King even included it in his "Ultimate Playlist," calling it "Possibly the funniest (and most loving) send-up of pop music ever recorded."

Entertainment Weekly Article Link
sabu57
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2011-9-20 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dougjack

:clap::clap:

I couldn't agree more. A kind of reverential parody, that I've only just heard for the first time. Wonderful stuff from an obvious fan.

Go To Top