Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Traffic and Weather 10 Years On...
fountainlover
Da Man

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 2017-10-12 at 02:54 PM
Traffic and Weather 10 Years On...

What's everyone's thoughts on this album 10 years on?

It seems to get less love than the other albums. In fact when Sky Full of Holes came out I remember a lot of people were calling it the album Traffic and Weather should've been.

I don't know, it's definitely the least great Fountains of Wayne album, but it's still really good to my ears. Someone to Love was a fantastic lead single and The Hotel Majestic, New Routine & Fire in the Canyon are all amazing songs. I also think Planet of Weed is the most criminally underrated Fountains of Wayne song but that's another discussion for another topic.

The only thing I don't like about the album is the production, I find it far too pristine and glossy. That can be a good thing but it just comes across as a bit sanitised to me in this case.

:happydance: look at this dance, it's incredible :rotfl:

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2017-10-13 at 04:42 AM

I really like this LP, but I agree that it isn't held in the ultimate esteem by everyone.

The "over-production" was certainly an observation that I recall, but that I guess arose to an extent because of Chris's limited songwriting involvement, making it more Adam's project than the previous joint efforts.

Personally I think it is very consistent and highly listenable, and a pretty commendable follow-up to the brilliant Welcome Interstate Managers.

As for favourite songs - well, I have a few. Someone To Love (great single, how a song like that could not end up as a hit is beyond me), New Routine is a classic, love Strapped For Cash and I love the title track as well. But the standout for me is I-95, that's got to be one of the greatest songs they have recorded for mine.

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
fountainlover
Da Man

[*] posted on 2017-10-15 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  
I really like this LP, but I agree that it isn't held in the ultimate esteem by everyone.

The "over-production" was certainly an observation that I recall, but that I guess arose to an extent because of Chris's limited songwriting involvement, making it more Adam's project than the previous joint efforts.

Personally I think it is very consistent and highly listenable, and a pretty commendable follow-up to the brilliant Welcome Interstate Managers.

As for favourite songs - well, I have a few. Someone To Love (great single, how a song like that could not end up as a hit is beyond me), New Routine is a classic, love Strapped For Cash and I love the title track as well. But the standout for me is I-95, that's got to be one of the greatest songs they have recorded for mine.

I-95 was the highlight when I saw them live in 2007 :thumbs:

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2017-10-15 at 08:32 PM

it has more filler than the rest of their albums,and leans way too middle of the road.and I hate some of the instrumentation, such as on songs like "this better be good" with the sickly sweet chimey sounds on the first verse. but when the album does do good such as I-95 it does it great.
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2017-12-31 at 04:59 AM

I think that this album suffered from the changing music industry. People were no longer about selling physical units any more and I think record companies didn’t know how to react. A lot of artists said it was s dark time.

I think Welcome Interstate managers was a classic album that defined Fountains of Wayne and following it up was always going to be hard. I like a lot of songs on the album but it is full of filler (which are ok songs on their own). Revolving Dora and Michael & Heather are in that class of tunes but I still like them.

I wish the bonus material for Japan had replaced some of these songs as they are a bit better.
fountainlover
Da Man

[*] posted on 2018-1-3 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SilentRunning  
I think that this album suffered from the changing music industry. People were no longer about selling physical units any more and I think record companies didn’t know how to react. A lot of artists said it was s dark time.

I think Welcome Interstate managers was a classic album that defined Fountains of Wayne and following it up was always going to be hard. I like a lot of songs on the album but it is full of filler (which are ok songs on their own). Revolving Dora and Michael & Heather are in that class of tunes but I still like them.

I wish the bonus material for Japan had replaced some of these songs as they are a bit better.

Totally agree. Sense Into You and You Gotta Go would've improved the album a lot.

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2018-1-4 at 02:35 PM

I agree about Revolving Dora sounding like filler, I really liked Michael & Heather though and thought it fit on the album nicely.

Sense Into You would have been a good addition to the LP, I agree, but to me You Gotta Go would have fallen into the "filler" category.

It's funny how opinions on these things differ......!

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
Stuporcollider
Head Bottle Washer

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2018-4-14 at 09:03 PM

I was so surprised to see a post that I just had to respond. And that will also make me member of the day,, :):antlers:

It\'s been 6 months
She hasn\'t shut up once

Go To Top