Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Jody Porter band.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-9-2 at 09:58 AM
New Jody Porter band.

Looks like Fountains of Wayne reunion wont be anytime soon

Jody announced a new band : Jody Porter and the Berlin Waltz

https://www.facebook.com/jody.porter/posts/10209737141332866...

I didnt really like his solo albums, let's hope this one if more in the vein of Fountains of Wayne.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-9-3 at 12:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by andy  
Looks like Fountains of Wayne reunion wont be anytime soon

Jody announced a new band : Jody Porter and the Berlin Waltz

https://www.facebook.com/jody.porter/posts/10209737141332866...

I didnt really like his solo albums, let's hope this one if more in the vein of Fountains of Wayne.

His solo albums were ok, was happy to support them.

Have little interest in doing so any more.

I doubt if this new venture will be in the Fountains of Wayne vein.

The corpse is just about buried.

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-9-3 at 08:38 AM

Jodys music is a tad too brit rock for my taste.reminds me of oasis which I never liked at all.
his second album month of mondays was better than his first.a couple nice ones, "sweeping exit and light in the shade" why it isnt on I-tunes is beyond me, these bonehead decisions people make.

in any case,these are going to be haaaaaaaard times for ex Fountains of Wayne members.

just gigging around in non descript bands after having such enthusiastic nice sized crowds to see them in Fountains of Wayne...chris has a freakin great album but the tunes are so abstract lyrically that its hard to connect to a tune on a personal level. think there are going to be any hands in the air lighter moments for songs with such injoke ideas such as "minor is the lonely key' or crash that piano?
doubtful.

they better do a 180 soon for their own sake. our lives are set. most of us can fucking do something professionally. its ok to be an old guy in some work field dealing with steady paychecks and a looming pension. when you are an old guy with guitars and basses and drums, playing in side projects at dives for an art crowd that is there to drink heineken first and listen to you second the world can be a harsh place.

FOW needs to bang out an album quick and get back into the game. a bright summery rock album. listen to live Fountains of Wayne youtube videos...you can tell all of their shows there are fairly large,loud and devoted audiences even fairly recently. so the fans are still there. separately, nobody is going to care about whatever thing they are doing. I'm a huge fan of chris, yet I'm not sure I would see look park if they were playing one town over now after seeing them in northampton. they were just some mediocre sounding band. Fountains of Wayne however, I routinely traveled hundreds of miles and seen multiple shows. thats what fountains of wayne inspires. none of their other projects inspires that.

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-9-3 at 11:54 PM

What you describe is typical in rock n roll: it's what make the magic of a band. The tension, the addition of 4 talents which, god knows why, makes everything sound right.

And when they go their own way... it all falls appart.

Chris is a great musician... in the studio only. As for Jody let's wait and see, maybe the fact the he hired a band is a sign that the music has changed.
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-9-9 at 05:56 PM

I have to take issue with the "in the studio only thing" regarding chris.
having seen chris with Fountains of Wayne many times, he is the real deal singing and guitar playing wise, live and in the studio. in a world where there are singers who voice is manufactured in the studio and they cant sing live...chris is a singer's singer in that you are getting "that guy" whether you hear his voice on a studio recording or live. and he's a great rhythm guitar player. I dont think many people understand how difficult it is to sing and play separate rhythmic patterns on a guitar while doing so.
he's no created in the studio musician.

where I will agree is that sometimes fate conspires that a group of guys play together that makes it all shine and together they are amazing and subtracted that..and they go into other groups..they lose that magic and even a great musician can indeed become.. just another guy.

but speaking of his voice, nobody can go there....he is a totally natural singer who has no need of reverb or doubletracking or autotune and can do it all....he can sing heavy rock, to ballads. there are singers who would sound ridiculous if they stepped outside their genre....not chris...he can sing all styles. even though I do wish sometimes his vocals were a bit more produced instead of so in your face. but thats got nothing to do with singing.he is totally the real deal.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-9-13 at 06:31 AM

I'm a singer / guitarist myself so when i said he's more of a studio guy, that means he's way better in the studio.

He's always been a bit behind live, especially in his vocals, mainly because of what you mentionned : something his rythmic parts are too complicated and he had to concentrate more on his playing than his singing.

But that doesnt mean he's shit live, it just means he's not great. If he separated both : either singing on playing guitar live, he would be huge, as you said he's got a great range of different vocal styles.

As for the topic, Jody Porter shared the first track of his new album, which sounds.... like Fountains of Wayne ! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

looks like my hopes have been heard :D

https://soundcloud.com/user-683083514/valerie-sometimes

edit: looks like he shared this one in may as well

https://soundcloud.com/user-683083514/pick-yer-poison

He said the record was to be released in summer, but it was probably puhsed back because of Look Park
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-9-14 at 07:50 PM

glad you like it. that makes one of us. the vocal is so plain and dry and underpowered. the tune is kinda serviceable but the production is weak and vocal just lets it all down IMO.
but I'll buy whatever he puts out. I support them in their endeavors

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-9-15 at 12:22 AM

I agree the vocals are a bit weak, but the tune is quite alright. So that kinda makes up for it.

Let's hope the rest of the record is good enough
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-11-1 at 11:22 PM

Article regarding one of JP's new songs.

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-news-premieres/jody-porter...

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2017-3-1 at 02:16 AM

Album is out, listening to it

So far it sounds quite ok, like some old school 90s rock n roll

I was not a fan of his first album, but this one could be listened more than once !
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2017-3-3 at 03:27 AM

Well i'm surprising myself by listening to this record every day since it came out

It's very solid, although his voice isn't that good.

If Chris had sung those songs, it would have made a good alt Fountains of Wayne record.

Go To Top