Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Chris is releasing a solo album in july !
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-11 at 12:28 AM

I love How he keeps saying in interview he doesnt want to hear about Fountains of Wayne anymore

Yet, his show are advertised on Facebook as "Look Park : Chris Collingwood (from Fountains of Wayne)"...

haha i bet his manager disagrees.
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-11 at 01:17 PM

I also take note he's insistent it's a band ...yet any interviews only feature him.

he was interviewed on some show called juggernaut
http://www.juggernautpod.com/ its a long interview that managed to go over alot of territory...unfortunately said territory appeared to be the equivelent of canada....dull and uninteresting...for fuck sake if I hear the tired story of how adam and chris met one more fucking time.

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-12 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by andy  
I love How he keeps saying in interview he doesnt want to hear about Fountains of Wayne anymore

Yet, his show are advertised on Facebook as "Look Park : Chris Collingwood (from Fountains of Wayne)"...

haha i bet his manager disagrees.

Yes, it sounds like Mr Collingwood in only principled so much.

The Fountains of Wayne reference certainly seems to suit him when it comes to his wallet.

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-12 at 09:22 PM

as unhappy and I am about Fountains of Wayne possibly being over, having to be fair, I think his first album is simply amazing. he deserves alot of praise for finally putting out an album of his stuff and it actually being top rate stuff. DEF top rate. its that good. its lush yet avoids being saccharine, it rocks,it makes you think and has some lyrics that are the farthest thing from fluff. I mean "crash that piano"... ........... he could have taken that song anywhere lyrically.....a lesser artist would have, instead he actually wrote a song about how some artists ruin their hit songs by playing them in an odd fashion. a quirky concept to write about yet he pulled it off perfectly.

you want to hate the guy because when you are the singer for a band...you essentially ARE the band. the lead singers voice is the avatar...and as sad as it may be, even though he didnt write "stacys mom" and even if he was never as successful as adam, the singer holds all the cards in determining the future of the group being the singer.and it pisses people off that essencially adam/jody/brian have no say in the future of Fountains of Wayne...it comes down to one guy and his particular whims.

I'm not sure Fountains of Wayne could pull it off having another singer which is done nowadays. on the one hand given their fairly low profile succes wise I'm not even sure half of the regular people who go to a Fountains of Wayne show would even take notice if instead of chris collingwood on stage there was chris cuomo from weezer. but to us diehards we would probably be really irritated to see someone else sing those tunes.

for jody and brian,think about it....yes, they are awesome and will keep gigging...adam will still be having lots of success, but what you dream of when you are young, to be a rock star with a fan base...they achieved it...its a steady flow of reasonable fame..and good money, and now essentially they've been laid off from that level and realistically will never again get to the level Fountains of Wayne was at.

I seriously doubt chris will escape this end result also. he's not always going to have a name tour partner like squeeze, and lacking any actual tangible chart success, in the end he's back to being a guy pushing 50 who for all intent and purpose is in an extremely talented no name garage band that got a lucky tour with squeeze who themselves arent exactly riding the wave.

but in anycase I REALLY am looking forward to seeing chris live at amourosaurus. his first release out of the starting gate IMO is something of a classic album that possibly nobody will ever realize. but just the same, chris hit it out of the park with his first try.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-13 at 03:33 AM

"Hate" is a very unfair word to use in relation to how I view him.

When I get the chance, I will explain my feelings.

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-16 at 01:04 AM

intown2007, i kinda agree, Chris has a lot more responsabilities towards the band than any other member.

He's basically Fountains of Wayne, his voice is unique. I hate when bands change singers, usually it doesn't work.

Maybe that's why Jody moved to LA few years ago, to find session musician jobs, because Chris told them he didn't want to do that anymore.

Maybe Fountains of Wayne could try with Adam or Jody on vocals, although that would be kinda weird. Can Adam even sing ? He does on Hannukah... and it's not bad.

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-16 at 08:02 PM

if we are talking background vocals...adams your guy. he has that high voice thats perfect for doing harmonies...Jody has a good rock voice(listen to his tune "sweeping exit' but his timbre is too whiskey soaked,messy and too different than chris's...it would be jarring to hear him sing the Fountains of Wayne catalog.

actually speaking of Jody, there is a guy he plays live shows as a duo named Cobb Ervin that I think would make a definite passable and acceptable replacement for chris if they were of the mind to carry on without...dont know who he is but heres them playing "valley winter song"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtG5QT1OeAQ I know.... sacrilege , but life goes on and he has a clean nice tenor like chris. and people were singing along with him...thats a good sign

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-17 at 01:00 AM

ah ! well that wasnt a bad take, but Fountains of Wayne should only be Chris on vocals, or the other three guys.

Or just Chris. It would be a travesty to hire another singer.

What i like abut Chris is that he sings like an american but with a Beatlesy/Oasis vibe, but not like any other american.

This guy sounds like a generic american singer.

PS: why people dont shut up when people play ? I never understood that...
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-17 at 03:25 AM

I certainly don't hate CC, but I am really pissed off with him.

He seems so determined to distance himself from Fountains of Wayne that he has basically taken a dump on the band - said dump, unavoidably, including the fans.

It wouldn't have been that hard for him to behave with a bit of class and respect. He could have easily said in his public statements how grateful he was for the opportunities the band presented him and how thankful he was for the support of the fans over the past 20 years - but now that he felt it was time to move on.

He could have also made it clear he didn't intend to return to Fountains of Wayne well before this - instead, he has been happy to leave fans hanging on in false hope. (Mind you, I suspect the other band members would have known too, and they also stayed quiet).

If it weren't for Fountains of Wayne it is possible he wouldn't been in the position he is currently in - ie able to branch out and do this album with a fair bit of promotion. Plenty of musos as talented as he is have fallen by the wayside over the years.

I see a bloke too busy being cranky (at whatever or whoever, who knows?) to be thankful for where he is and to those who helped him get there to be honest.

Singers are the hardest to replace, I agree, but it is not impossible. And his songwriting input over the last couple of albums has been negligible, so that aspect won't be too hard to cover. Might be time for Jody to step up.

So I certainly would continue to follow a Fountains of Wayne with a new singer.

Having said all that, one day I will come to terms with all this and buy the Look Park album and do my best to like it. Just not now.

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-17 at 02:43 PM

one wonders what went on inside the band. I am assuming adam and chris butt heads...but over what one wonders? I cant imagine it was touring woe's, after all if that was the issue why chris left...what does he do first thing? go on tour with look park from japan to everywhere in the US. so I cant imagine it was that.

thats the only way aging musicians can make money realistically nowadays so touring is going to be a part of chris's life if he wants to keep his house stocked with seasonal effective disorder bulbs. well unless your adam, I suspect adams juiced into the big leagues and does alot of stuff we dont know about and reaps the rewards for being a go getter.

maybe its the classic tale of someone feeling in the shadow of the other guy and showing displeasure via being irritating and uncooperative . I notice in an interview adam made a strange admission.....something to the effect if chris doesnt like something about a song he submits such as the singing melody...he will refuse to sing it. I mean chris can sing anything and sound good. its not like adams pumping out Fountains of Wayne songs with melodies along the lines of "these are a few of my favorite things" so if thats true,thats pretty shitty of chris to deny adams wants for whatever Fountains of Wayne album.

also, this thing chris is saying in interviews about him not using songs that sound too Fountains of Wayne...I'm not sure I buy that...looking at how few songs he had on traffic and weather...I suspect he just doesnt write hardly any songs at all.I doubt he was weeding thru lots of songs to find those not like Fountains of Wayne. I bet there's no hard drive stocked with lots and lots of unheard chris songs.fragments maybe, of disjointed
ramblings of a guy at 4 in the morning in his studio who cant sleep maybe, but I bet he has tons of misfires and X amount of good tunes.

I suspect had they done a Fountains of Wayne album, alot of the songs on the new Fountains of Wayne album would have been the songs on look parks album just rocked up more is all.

or maybe chris is just a gentle soul and adam is pushy using his sucess. or something else...
I notice there is the first verse on "save yourself" where it seems like he is needling a bit who I think are the jodys and brians....

"all the air goes out of the room when the boys come...and soon its just a wall of smoke...they like to leave their mark,anywhere they are,like creatures of the savage wild.
there might as well be a line for all the friends they got,and you can tell em from the clothes they wear,leather boots and their ragged tee's,golden bangles,
he goes on to sing, "if getting by wasnt trouble enough, save yourself because you cant save the ones you love,"

so who knows....maybe the whole band thing was getting to chris....the hanging out with band mate rocker types and their excesses or maybe they just took a break and are being obtuse and dickheads about it.

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-19 at 01:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by intown2007  

I suspect had they done a Fountains of Wayne album, alot of the songs on the new Fountains of Wayne album would have been the songs on look parks album just rocked up more is all.

I totally agree. Most songs on Look Park are distant cousins of Chris's tunes on Sky Full of Holes to be honest.

He will always be Fountains of Wayne, whether he likes it or not.

As for friction in the band, well, having been in a band for a short time myself. It's really difficult, even if you are pals with the guys.

There is ego, direction you want the band to go to, sound you like the others don't.

And may i add, i was born on october 3, same as Chris, and we people from the early fall have a hard time being around people all the time, we need a lot of time alone. I guess being in Look Park will allow him to be more "alone" during tours.

It's really more simple to be a solo act, even though i always thought bands produces better music because of that ego race. But inside, it's hard to experience. Being 24/7 with people, even people you like a lot, is hard.

I guess they're all to blame. Chris has had harsh words about Fountains of Wayne, but he'll regret it someday. Look at the Pumpkins lately, all coming together even though they havent spoken in 16 years.

I'm all for the band trying with Jody or Adam on lead vocals, but another singer, not too sure about that...
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-19 at 03:58 PM

the way I look at it is, we might not be happy with the notion possibly chris caused the demise of Fountains of Wayne....but he's still Chris.
he wont be making music forever you know. its best to be supportive of what they do and leave any of the other stuff out of it. the charts are full of the most abhorrent nasty vile rap and hip hop now....and the concert venues packed.

and yet a real songwriter and singer like chris who just put out a deep and intelligent and eclectic CD is playing festivals and clubs with probably hardly any radio play for shit money.
enjoy it while we still can.

Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Sweet

[*] posted on 2016-8-20 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  
As for the subject being discussed, I guess I am just disappointed that the fans apparently don't deserve to be told what is happening. I would have thought that we should be treated with a bit more respect. Oh well.......

I remember not knowing if Fountains of Wayne had split or would release another album before some 30-second Welcome Interstate Managers previews appeared online at some point. Why should we know? We wouldn't hear anything of bands for ages before the Internet and particularly social media took off. All bands are different and only the band members themselves know what goes on in the band itself, so I wouldn't criticise any for not telling fans what is and isn't happening.

Sometimes it's more annoying being told an album is in the works for years, so you keep expecting it, but nothing appears. This has been the case with Teenage Fanclub (the band that led me to Fountains of Wayne, or vice-versa) who have finally got around to releasing their first album in 6 years. But again, they had their reasons.

As for Look Park, I probably prefer the album to Sky Full of Holes - Aeroplane is up there with some of my favourite Fountains of Wayne songs. There are some songs I'm hoping are growers - but most of my favourite albums have songs I liked instantly, plus a few that took longer to sink in.

Edit - Teenage Fanclub are a good model for Fountains of Wayne actually - they have 3 songwriters, and for the last 3 or 4 albums, each of them has written 4 songs each. I wouldn't be surprised if another Fountains of Wayne album came along in a few years. I don't see them doing anything without Chris.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-22 at 02:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alex H  

I remember not knowing if Fountains of Wayne had split or would release another album before some 30-second Welcome Interstate Managers previews appeared online at some point. Why should we know? We wouldn't hear anything of bands for ages before the Internet and particularly social media took off. All bands are different and only the band members themselves know what goes on in the band itself, so I wouldn't criticise any for not telling fans what is and isn't happening.

My view and feeling is that if these guys are happy to accept the support of people such as us, a bit of common courtesy in return is the least we can expect.

If it was known, say, 12 months ago that Fountains of Wayne wasn't going to record again, why not just tell the fans rather than keeping them hanging on in false hope?

I reckon Collingwood isn't the only one who knew well before this that Fountains of Wayne wasn't happening any more. Yet apparently the fans are just mugs who don't deserve to be told this.

Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Sweet

[*] posted on 2016-8-22 at 08:07 AM

I see your point-of-view - but they still haven't even said Fountains of Wayne definitely won't record again, just that it's unlikely. What if there's been big fall outs in the past, and they've decided to call it a day, but then made-up enough again to record something? It'd be like a soap opera if they told us they'd split, but then 2 years later made another album. I don't see the big deal really. Things change, people change.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-24 at 02:07 AM

FOW probably split up a lot in the past, we just didnt know it. There was a failed experiment at recording somewhere remote before Welcome... if i remember correctly.

I get Sherb's point of view, for a band like Fountains of Wayne, which is relatively "small", its common to communicate more with the fans via facebook...etc It's like a community more than a band followed by random people. Plus that's how you maintain a fanbase.

As people age, it's harder to make compromises though. I guess it's all down to Look Park success. If it fails, Chris will come back. As you said, people change, things change, and Chris state of mind in 2016 wont be the same in 2018 or 2019. But maybe, by then, no one will care about Fountains of Wayne...
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-24 at 04:27 PM

Everyone has a different perspective on this. And a different emotional attachment to the music. And a different set of principles they apply from their own life experience.

In my case for instance I have never met the band, or know them, or have seen them perform. And I had hoped to finally get to the US when the new (now non-existent) album was recorded and they toured in support of it.

So I am a mixture of angry, pissed off, extremely upset and so on. I make no apologies for that.

Collingwood in particular, and the rest of the band members to varying extents, would have known that the band is likely done well before this. And this news has to come out in dribs and drabs/bits and pieces in a series of (varying degrees of) cryptic references in media regarding Collingwood's new project?

Is that seriously how much they respect the Fountains of Wayne fans?

Having said that, in hindsight I guess I am not that surprised, given the band's history (as Andy alluded to). They seem to just "get around to" recording albums and touring, and don't seem to rate an extremely loyal fanbase as particularly important.

I'm done with Fountains of Wayne and their music for the foreseeable future, I just need time to come to terms with this. I'll get Collingwood's CD one day, but I am not in any particular hurry at the moment.

As I said, we are all coming from different perspectives. That is mine. There is no right or wrong.

I'll still keep this site running as best I can though.

Thankfully Nik Kershaw is working on a new album. He is as good a songwriter, if not better, than C or S. And the beauty of solo artists is that they can't split up and break your heart.......

Here's a 2014 demo of a NK song I found. Hopefully this is included on the new album. It's gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXFFtJ3RzI

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-26 at 01:01 AM

Chris posted a demo he did for a fan on facebook

https://soundcloud.com/campworkaround/happy-birthday-erin

He's got the potential to become a great folk singer. He's got the songs, the melancholia and the lo-fi sound.

Could be something like Eels, Richard Swift and acts like that
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-26 at 05:06 AM

By the way, I will eventually get over all this.

I just need to vent........:)

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-26 at 06:13 AM

And when you do, you'll love this record, believe me

It's that good (and it wont go that unnoticed)
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-28 at 02:13 PM

so I drove like 300 miles to see look park at look park.

the good news is, the crowd just adores chris like he is the town treasure. they showed him alot of love during his brief set. so I'm sure it was all pats on the back and "hey chris great set!" for him after his show.

but I'm not from northampton, so I'm going Roger Ebert all over him.

his set was amazingly sloppy and messy. and I'm not talking about in the good "hey man thats rock and roll" kind of messy....I'm talking as in the band didnt appear to totally know the songs.
to be fair...he said that this was only their third time playing a show together. but just what the fuck are they doing band practice nights?

I almost thought watching the show that his band was some sort of diabolical deep espionage plot orchestrated by Adam to make Chris look bad via getting chris to "pick" his band by getting these musicians to be in his field of view at a particular junction and chris just thinking that he actually picked the band members and all along they were double agents who were executing "operation fuck chris" because brother...they were working against him.

the beginning of "stars of new york"...someone ...I believe the keyboard player was totally playing in the wrong key for a whole bunch of bars...the dude was playing the notes with such zeal and conviction though as if he was saying...yeah its the wrong key...but I'm not fuckin movin. you assholes can change key to meet me.

also the band suffered from the usual thing so many bands suffer from live....the bass player is too fucking loud. there was such low end rumbling whenever he hit notes...alot of which seemed like he wasnt tuned that well...and it just added so much low end. theres no reason why the bass has to be loud. a loud bass has the ability to derail a song because if the bass player holds a note it sounds like a foghorn sustaining under the song. 2 guitars have enough bass notes to not need to have a loud bass.

I don't know any of the band members names I just know who they look like. you had anthony weiner the politician on piano.....malcolm young from AC/DC on bass...philip seymour hoffman on guitar and the drummer....well the drummer looked like every movie stereotype of a british rodie you've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out his name is something like Nigel.

in any case it was definitely what would call an "off night". the only one not off was the bodacious woman in black jeans who came up to sing with them on fire in the canyon shout part 1 and got me excited for once during the set. here's the set list as I can remember it not necessarily in this order

save yourself
stars of new york
breezy
barbara H
aeroplane
you can come round if you want to
get on home
radiation vibe
shout part 1
fire in the canyon
red dragon tattoo
some tune I didnt know about putting something in a box. a cover possibly

almost.... every song from the new album except the one song I actually drove 300 miles hoping to hear "im gonna haunt this place".the only thing haunting at this show was the mosquitos.

also he said they just got done making a video for aeroplane. hope we see it soon.

but honestly....the performance was so messy and so underpowered....I have to tell you, I will not be making anymore 300 mile drives to see them.
some things worked out...shout part 1 they pulled off pretty well as I was certain that AAAEEEEAAAAOOOO part was going to totally go wrong and implode and send everyone in the audience into fits of the giggles, but luckily
"hot body" was on the case and joined them for that one again and nailed the high parts.

there were some bright spots.....save yourself was nice..get on home and breezy sounded nice..the bass player must have broke a string during breezy cause the sound was awesome on that one..also the band does have really onpoint harmonies. but I remember feeling bad for chris. maybe I am making too much of this. but I dont know...I want him to do well and I thought that that set...wasnt going to win over new people. its going to take new people...not northampton residents to make look park successful. also I should add...it wasnt just the band that was shakey this show....chris wavered on and off key quite a bit. in short..they all had a bad night. bad bad leroy brown style.

pic upload
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-30 at 01:00 AM

Thanx for the detailed review :)

Sounds like it was really a bad show, and the pic make it seem like it some sort of local band making shitty covers to be honest... In Fountains of Wayne, it the three other guys that made the live band on top of Chris's songs to be honest. So if these guys are not good, it wont ever sound good.

We'll see.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-31 at 03:19 AM

Sorry to hear you made such a long trip for a bit of a disappointing show.

I am sure things will improve with the liver performances over time.

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-9-2 at 09:58 AM

Looks like Fountains of Wayne reunion wont be anytime soon

Jody announced a new band : Jody Porter and the Berlin Waltz

https://www.facebook.com/jody.porter/posts/10209737141332866...

I didnt really like his solo albums, let's hope this one if more in the vein of Fountains of Wayne.
sherb
Sheriff
Thread Copied
2016-9-3 at 12:01 AM
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-9-3 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by andy  
Looks like Fountains of Wayne reunion wont be anytime soon

Jody announced a new band : Jody Porter and the Berlin Waltz

https://www.facebook.com/jody.porter/posts/10209737141332866...

I didnt really like his solo albums, let's hope this one if more in the vein of Fountains of Wayne.

I've copied this post to a new thread.

Took me ages (due to my limited editing rights). :thumbs:

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top