Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Chris is releasing a solo album in july !
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-21 at 08:59 PM

oh its really really good. I agree about the first half being stronger...

"Stars of New York" "I'm gonna haunt this place" Minor is the lonely key""save yourself".....wow I'm blowin out the replay on soundcloud. this is such a surprise seriously. I was expecting...a album with country tunes.....what we got was pretty much lush 70's folk pop album...layers of instruments...inventive arrangements...and intersting lyrics.

I went for a 2 hour walk on the erie canal and listened to it multiple times. this is a headphone album.
I also love that his lyrics are so all over the place and quirky. you dont hear the pop rock cliches in his songs. but the music is really deep...cripes sake I even think theres a touch of cha-cha music in "crash that piano...I mean...this is chris fucking collingwood of Fountains of Wayne of all people. cha-cha!

in some places I'm almost thinking he sounds like 70's glen campbell or as the reviewer said neil diamond.

I do have problems with the album....one of my favorite songs is "I'm gonna haunt this place"....it has an amazing yet mournful chorus with some reverbed out lulluby-ish vibey stuff in the background.....yet...the first and second time the chorus comes around...he only sings the chorus once....which sucks...repeat it sing it a bunch of times and let it breathe man....and then inexplicably after that beautiful beach boy ba ba ba part comes in the song peters out musically..and..vocally and just totally deflates...his voice drowned out by the drums an utterly cluttered shuffling mess,so strange! but I do like that part right at the end where the drums drop out. its atmospheric.

thankfully I didnt hear "breezy" first...I have to admit...oddly... I wasnt much interested in his solo album to begin with...if I heard the neutered james taylor style of "breezy" possibly I would have just thought..."ah so...thats his new style" and not even given the rest of the album a listen. also as I suspected chris seems like a very very minimal vocal production guy. as a result....every vocal sounds the same on every single song. dry...too in your face and plain. but...in the end, this is a surprisingly excellent CD full of surprisingly atmospheric music.

now if he would just change that promotional yellowish photo of himself that makes him look like some kind of creepy alien/human hybrid.seriously...that photo is fucking disturbing.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-25 at 10:28 AM

I'm glad he went the 70s route. an album full of country songs would have been to much to me.

After a few days, it's a really an overall good record, i agree it's one made for headphones.

but given the reaction here (almost... none), it wont sell like crazy.

So when he runs out of money they'll reform Fountains of Wayne :P
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-25 at 03:11 PM

Oh he's fucked to be sure.I mean its a solid album but I give him 5 months tops and he will be working at Olive garden.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-26 at 12:31 AM

Hehe, do you think he takes "regular" side job inbetween Fountains of Wayne ? the other seem to be doing side projects in music only.

I suppose he had to get this record out of his system, it was rumored for like 10 years.

But i'm confident we'll see new Fountains of Wayne in the next few years.
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-26 at 05:02 PM

Nah...I suspect what they make each tour is enough to float them for awhile. they probably augment it with gigging. but as far as more Fountains of Wayne you never know...if there is... cough cough...a certain member that doesnt like the work environment so much so to cut off his own nose to spite his face...rock and roll is full of people who fucked up dream jobs and walked away defiantly despite taking a hit financially. the Ace Frehley's and Axe roses etc etc.

if you listened to the language that was used in the interview chris has on his news page...the language is of a band that is broken up...not on hiatus. but who really knows...who really cares...I found another band I am totally geeking on now called the "the divine comedy". intelligent and brilliant fuck man I forgot about Fountains of Wayne already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB--qzE4JhE
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-27 at 12:44 AM

haha funny, i'm massive Divine Comedy since 1997, even before Fountains of Wayne ! Great band that, seen Neil Hannon alone and with the band many many times and will see them 3 times this fall / winter, it's always a great gig.

It's weird that you think they are broken up coz Jody posts Fountains of Wayne related stuff on Facebook very often, maybe it's a message to Chris... I bet all but him would be willing to do it again then. Sad coz they have some great music in them.

But listening to that interview you mentionned, now i understand, he just wanted to be the man in control again.

I have faith, in music, things come and go, and the truth now is not necesserily the truth in 2 or even 5 years.

That Look Park record grows a lot on me.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-27 at 02:28 PM

I want to thank everyone who is still posting here for keeping the site active. It isn't my site - it was started in 2003 by Eric. I have limited moderating access, so I have done my best to keep the messageboard tidy (mainly by continually having to delete spam posts!).

I do hope to eventually see if I can at least get the discography up to date, but I will need greater access to do that. In the meantime, keep posting away!!!

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-27 at 02:35 PM

As for the subject being discussed, I guess I am just disappointed that the fans apparently don't deserve to be told what is happening. I would have thought that we should be treated with a bit more respect. Oh well.......

I'm not particularly interested in Chris's album at this stage. Don't know why, I guess because it has taken Fountains of Wayne away from me. I will get it in time, and undoubtedly will get enthusiastic about it too!

I might check out Divine Comedy too, I think I need a new favourite band. :thumbs:

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 12:20 AM

You should check it out, it's like a more laid back Fountains of Wayne record. It's really good after a week or so.

He's trying to distance himself from the band, but honestly, it's a like a Fountains of Wayne record made up of only Chris songs. He cant escape it, he's the voice.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 02:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by andy  
You should check it out, it's like a more laid back Fountains of Wayne record. It's really good after a week or so.

He's trying to distance himself from the band, but honestly, it's a like a Fountains of Wayne record made up of only Chris songs. He cant escape it, he's the voice.

I will get it in time, probably the next month or so.

To quote Please Don't Rock Me Tonight - at the moment "I'm not in the mood". :lol:

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 03:50 AM

A few reviews/interview pieces about Chris's new album.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/200296/9

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/24/487237229/fountains-of-wayne-s...

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/07/album-review-look-park...

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/07/foun...

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 06:32 AM

"Parted ways" between Chris and Adam, as said in one those interviews.... that's scary.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 01:38 PM

I'm glad he went the 70s route. an album full of country songs would have been to much to me.

It would have been too much for me too. :lol:

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 02:32 PM

So just as an aside, which Divine Comedy album would you recommend as a starter for a newbie like moi?

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 08:47 PM

in his new interview he posted with extremely demented and epically shitty leftwing online magazine salon http://www.salon.com/2016/07/28/life_after_fountains_of_wayn... I know you re glad to be on your own now, but could you see touring or recording new music with Fountains of Wayne someday? Chris. I don t see it happening. I hate to be one of those guys who deal in absolutes, but the way things stand, I don t see it happening.
Soooo if you put all his comments together I suspect even if he changes his mind we wont see a Fountains of Wayne cd within 5 years. I'm glad he is doing his own thing but when you are a beloved band like THE CARS.....absence does makes the heart grow fonder...and all those hit songs are enough to make people want to see a CARS tour after years and years...........but the danger is when you are a middling band like Fountains of Wayne...essentially as it is hanging off a cliff by a finger.....a long absence could be devastating.

You need to have an eclectic taste to enjoy a divine comedy album. It's going to be to Jarring if you don't. with a band like Fountains of Wayne the album is generally going to be.... all the same... genre. with a divine comedy album you will get music that spans like 5 different genres...you will get orchestral/folk/rock/chamber/bluegrass/dance alot of times with a full orchestra. and the lyrics are as genius if not more so then Fountains of Wayne. they jump out at you unexpectedly.sometimes brilliantly tongue in cheek and funny delivered so slyly you didnt see them coming such as a couple lines in freedom road . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_qshG7evg

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 11:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  
So just as an aside, which Divine Comedy album would you recommend as a starter for a newbie like moi?

Promenade if you like strings

Casanova if a bit like the power pop album of Divine Comedy

Regeneration is a bit more pop rock, but not my favorite

I'd say Casanova for a starter. I agree with IntoTown, that band is kinda weird, so we would understand if you dont like them :)
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-28 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by intown2007  

Soooo if you put all his comments together I suspect even if he changes his mind we wont see a Fountains of Wayne cd within 5 years. I'm glad he is doing his own thing but when you are a beloved band like THE CARS.....absence does makes the heart grow fonder...and all those hit songs are enough to make people want to see a CARS tour after years and years...........but the danger is when you are a middling band like Fountains of Wayne...essentially as it is hanging off a cliff by a finger.....a long absence could be devastating.

The fact that he still wants to make music is good though. Before Traffic and Weather, it seemed like he didn't want to bother with that ever again.

Now he's touring on his own, with a new band and all. If Look Park works, there will be more Look Park, and i'm happy with that coz the record is good.

If Look Park fails, he will get back to Fountains of Wayne. And i will be happy too. So either way, it's a win :)

I think the fact that Adam sold their home base (the new york studio) probably didn't help them either to be close to one another.

the only sad part is that i only got to see them once live.

As for Fountains of Wayne's career, to me, the potential was there, it's just that the management never pushed them to the spotlight, especially after Stacy's Mom, they could have been huge. Or they didn't want to be huge.
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-29 at 04:09 PM

can someone explain to me what is going on with chris's enunciation with the opening lines of "stars of new york"?

it literally...and I mean literally sounds like he is laying back in a dentist chair numbed up with novocaine with that little air hose in his mouth and the microphone is above him and thats how he sang it.

that is not how you sing the opening lines to a song..at al.

"you can come round if you want to" is a nice little ditty. been likin that one quite a bit.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-31 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  

Promenade if you like strings

Casanova if a bit like the power pop album of Divine Comedy

Regeneration is a bit more pop rock, but not my favorite

I'd say Casanova for a starter. I agree with IntoTown, that band is kinda weird, so we would understand if you dont like them :)

Thanks for that, I will give one of the albums a try and see how I go!!

Here's another Look Park review:
http://thecelebritycafe.com/2016/07/look-park-self-titled-al...

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-7-31 at 06:30 PM

I have some notion that "you can come round if you want to" is chris writing a song subconsciously to himself about the Fountains of Wayne situation.

he's complaining about his bills like he's being realistic about the situation of he does need money....yet he says if your not content with the passible life ie, just getting by with his side band lookpark.. you can come round if you want to, ie go back to Fountains of Wayne ...and obviously the bird on the wire chris is telling to shut the hell up is Adam always asking chris if he wants to do a new Fountains of Wayne album or tour. at least thats my little take.

also I take note in some interviews he's proud of the fact there is a mellotron on the album...you know..that thing that costs 5 times a regular synth but sounds exactly the same when mixed in a song lol.

something working against him...I think he's going to need a hit or some big recognition for this album if he's going to shake off Fountains of Wayne.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-1 at 12:41 AM

The whole record seems like a psychoanalysis of his life, so i wouldnt be surprised if the last one is about Fountains of Wayne

It seemed like a slow Fountains of Wayne song to me, one that could fit on Traffic and Weather, where he was also questioning modern life.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-8-2 at 06:10 PM

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/08/chris-colling...

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-4 at 12:38 AM

It's really a great record. :cheers:
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-8-6 at 08:10 AM

well shit...it was only 20 years in the making. its a great rainy day album. I was sitting in the car eating lunch,it was grey and raining,rain tapping on the car and I was listening to "minor is the lonely key", it was a nice experience how it seemed to match the weather sonically.
I'm going to see him at Amourasaurus in northampton. I really hope he plays "I'm gonna haunt this place'...

I suspect he will, I mean I suspect they will play pretty much everything off the album and fill out the rest with Fountains of Wayne or covers. I will be very interested if he suckles up to the tit and plays "stacys mom". I think that would be a betrayal of the highest order... like cheating on and divorcing a loving wife and then telling her "and I'm keeping the fucking house and dog".

if anyone is on I-tunes or amazon or wherever you bought it it would be nice to say a couple nice words about look parks album.I'm going to do so on I-tunes
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-8-8 at 08:53 AM

Interesting, as here it's been sunny and very warm most of the time, and believe me, it's also a summer record.

When a record fits many moods, you can be sure it's a great one

Well done chris, i didnt think he could pull it off.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top