Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Chris is releasing a solo album in july !
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-4-19 at 08:40 AM
Chris is releasing a solo album in july !

More on stereogum (with first single! )

http://www.stereogum.com/1871769/look-park-aeroplane-stereog...
miskw07
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2016-4-19 at 12:06 PM

And the album cover and track list!

01. Shout, Pt. 1
02. Stars of New York
03. Breezy
04. Aeroplane
05. Minor Is the Lonely Key
06. You Can Come Round If You Want to
07. I'm Gonna Haunt This Place
08. Crash That Piano
09. Save Yourself
10. Get On Home

I saw him live last Friday in NYC. It was an event called "Wesley Stace's Cabinet of Wonder", and just before Chris's performance, Salman Rushdie read from his book. It was an amazing night.

LOOK PARK
Guitars, Vocals: Chris Collingwood
Keyboards: Mitchell Froom
Bass: Davey Faragher
Drums: Michael Urbano
Background Vocals: Mike Viola, Flora Reed & Philip Price (Winterpills)
Produced by Mitchell Froom
Engineered and mixed by David Boucher at Jack's, Los Angeles, CA
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-4-22 at 12:44 AM

Looking forward to it. :clap:

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2016-4-22 at 10:15 AM

Listening to the new song from Chris. Not bad. He said he threw out any songs that sounded like Fountains of Wayne. This still sounds pretty Fountains of Wayne-like. I think I like it....still listening.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-4-23 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nhsgary  
Listening to the new song from Chris. Not bad. He said he threw out any songs that sounded like Fountains of Wayne. This still sounds pretty Fountains of Wayne-like. I think I like it....still listening.

Why would he do that?

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-4-24 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  
Quote: Originally posted by nhsgary  

Why would he do that?

Seems like he's getting a rash when people talk about Fountains of Wayne. Why ? that's a mystery.

Anyways, the song is good but definitely not up to Fountains of Wayne standards. It should a relaxing record, at least.
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-4-25 at 10:12 PM

Andy...thanks for the heads up! First off.....a songwriter coming up with quirky song titles instead of the usual generic's goes along way with me...and those are some very interesting song titles. because in my experience usually people who are thinking outside the box enough to come up with original sounding song titles usually have the chops to back it up.

the song itself...well I was impressed by how complex the arrangement was....its a weird track....very stop starty sounding with lots going on....love the warm string laden outro part that pops in for a bit every now and then..makes me want to be in my car and have that part cranked with the window rolled down..but theres not enough of that part...its very hooky but its like its a tiny after thought...

.not sure his vocal "sits" as well as it should in the mix...I wish he would double track more....his vocals as of late tend to take on a sort of whiney quality which usually double tracking offsets...but they are good enough. its a just ok track as far as the chorus. doesnt knock me out...but as a track that makes me think those other tracks might be inventive and interesting, it succeeds and makes me excited about getting the full album.

oh...btw...what the fuck is look park. come on man...it took freakin 30 years for him to put out a solo album....put your fucking name on it.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-4-26 at 02:52 AM

Yeah the song is weird, It's probably not the best song on the record as it's first tune we hear from it. Usually those are among the masses of the record.

Plus it sounds like a best of of all the Fountains of Wayne songs he's done. That's why i find it weird that he doesn't want to be in Fountains of Wayne anymore, it sounds very much like a leftover from Sky Full of Holes to me. Maybe Adam is a tyrant or something in the studio i dont know...

It bodes well overall i think, at least we're getting something new. And it looks like he's spent 10 years on it, so it HAS to be good right :P
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-4-26 at 09:49 PM

Just bought it on I-tunes, it def gets better with repeated listens. but I hate this trend where we get a heads up about an album release months out. it just leads to irritation. there are so many artists now who are doing this fairly new trend, surprise releases...they work on an album no press or anything...you log on the net one day...BOOM....done...its available to be bought. it heads off lots of fans scouring the net for leaks and illegal downloads(not that this is going to be a problem for chris no offense) but still. its just silly if an album is done and one just sits on it...they have the album picture and the tracklist on
I-tunes......I mean...just release it.

I cant imagine they will ever be done with fountains of wayne. they have big crowds when they play live...thats where the money is at. I cant imagine they will walk away from that.I would imagine its like their pension.

also...did you see some of the track lengths? cripes sake they make buddy holly songs seem like pink floyd epics. 30 years in the making and chris's album listen will last about the time it takes me to drive down the street to ARBYS drive thru, order a beef and cheddar and by the time I get back its over.

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-4-28 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by intown2007  

I cant imagine they will ever be done with fountains of wayne. they have big crowds when they play live...thats where the money is at. I cant imagine they will walk away from that.I would imagine its like their pension.

I guess you're right, at least for Chris it is, i imagine Adam is getting a lot of money from his production duties, and the other two are probably doing sessions musician job in LA.

I suppose the sale of the studio got them a lot of money as well, i mean, it was in the heart of NYC.

FOW is really a band that could have given us a great record every two or three years, if Chris wasn't so lazy. too bad...
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-4-28 at 10:43 AM

On another note....I guess the song is what's known as a grower....cause I love it now once I got my head wrapped around the structure.that part with the strings and that repeating riff...its quite the ear candy.

its all I'm listening to right now.I'm actually excited about what else is on that album...I am sure its going to be good. and no matter what he says...the song would have fit nicely on traffic or sky. still seems silly it isnt under his own name.
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-4-29 at 12:00 AM

He probably wanted to get the name of that park out there

http://www.lookpark.org/

after a few more listens, i agree, it sounds very Fountains of Wayne later days. Silly indeed.
miskw07
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2016-5-27 at 01:36 AM

Look Park to play at Fuji Rock Festival '15. The last time Fountains of Wayne played at Fuji Rock Festival, I saw so many fans from Australia. How about you, Sherb?
http://fujirock-eng.com/
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-6-16 at 10:48 AM

second tune released, not Fountains of Wayne sounding at all

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-6-16 at 04:46 PM

hmmmmm this is shaping up to be quite an album. shout part 1 is so rousing and symphonic. I mean his voice gets totally overwhelmed near the end he needs to double track(i know I say that ad nausem but his voice always sounds a bit thin but still....both this song and aeroplane I have to say I love the totally inventive song structures...

its almost like he knows himself there is no expectation from him to put out anything good and the album will just get buried among a sea of other releases so he figures....
"ah fuck it"....and is able to just get weird and experiment. also, one of the pictures he has the chord sheet to haunt this place and my brother is a session guitarist in NYC and I asked him to play the sheet music and that one had some pretty beautiful minor key chord changes.

what he needs is to get one of his tunes into a key scene in some movie or something.thats probably his only hope of the album doing anything. and I dont buy the name thing. I suspect its difficult to put your name on something and essentially say..."this is on me" if one does it group style, you can just sort of be a face in the crowd and the band fails instead of chris. anyways I think this album is going to be really good. adam might be envious...without chris and Fountains of Wayne he's probably stuck writing jingles for Popeyes chicken
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-6-18 at 01:09 AM

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/16/fountains-wayne-frontma...

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-6-21 at 02:01 AM

Don't really like the backing vocals, the yyeeaaheeyyoo to be honest. Sounds like jimmy clegg or something.

the rest of the tunes is quite good though
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2016-6-21 at 05:08 PM

it sounds to me like he was trying to sort of make his own "life in a northern town". it has that vibe with that kinda "sing chant".

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2016-7-9 at 05:43 PM
I can't fuckin post!

Did that fix it?
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-11 at 05:02 AM

This record is released way too late. Mid july is a graveyard for record release.

It should have come out in late june.
nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2016-7-11 at 06:01 AM
Trouble. My "subject" appears as the message body and it ignores anything I type in the body.

EDIT: Seems to be fixed now. Thanks!
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-18 at 01:40 AM

"Breezy", another song from the LP, is available for listen on Spotify or here

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/premiere-look-park-breezy

Best tune so far, very summery.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2016-7-18 at 05:16 PM

Reasonably detailed article.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/07/foun...

andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-19 at 06:28 AM

Thanx for that

The album should be up for preview now, as every other artist does, what's going on grrrrr

3 days away...
andy
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2016-7-21 at 12:27 AM

There it is !

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/stream-fountain-of-way...

Couple of listens already, the first half definitely seems to be the strongest.

A record to chill out to, like the softest Fountains of Wayne songs he's written, stuff like Fire in the Canyon or Cemetery Guns.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top