Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stacy's Mom Recharting - Huh?
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-9-8 at 03:28 PM
Stacy's Mom Recharting - Huh?

Stacy's Mom recently re-charted in the lower regions of the UK charts. Week commencing 7th September it was 84 and this week it has dropped off. It peaked at 73.

http://dailyemerald.com/2013/09/06/review-the-uks-bastille-f...

I wonder how this happened?

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/fountains%20of%20wayn...

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Life Is Beautiful

[*] posted on 2013-9-8 at 07:38 PM

Who knows? It's still pretty popular with people, and a lot of people still talk about it and perform it and whatnot. When I search the Fountains of Wayne tag on Tumblr, almost everything people post is about Stacy's Mom (much of it being overused jokes involving Jessie's Girl or having a daughter named Stacy so you can have it going on). It's possible that it's also got something to do with its ten-year "anniversary." It's still pretty cool that that happened.

Speaking of Stacy's Mom, the movie based on the song that I mentioned, like, three or four years ago and thought the makers decided to give up on has apparently been on Netflix for a while. The humor's pretty cheesy at times (and sometimes it works), and the acting's definitely not Academy Award-worthy (especially the actress who portrayed Stacy), but it's probably worth any Fountains of Wayne fan's time (the opening scene after the intro credits is the most obvious reference; everything else is kind of its own thing).

Don't go away mad... Just go away.
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-9-10 at 10:18 AM

It is great news that this has happened. It would be great if we could do the same thing that Wheatus did and make their song chart very very high again. But I am not sure how the band would feel about that as they have consciously moved away from the Stacy's Mom type of tunes (not that it is a bad song by any stretch of the imagination).

Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Life Is Beautiful

[*] posted on 2013-9-10 at 03:13 PM

I wish there was some kind of big revival for one of their older songs, like "Radiation Vibe" or "Sink to the Bottom," for example, or anything, really. Like, if one of their songs was used in some movie that turned out to be really, really popular, and everyone heard the song and was, like, "Wow, what is that?" And they love it so much that they start downloading the crap out of it on iTunes, and BAM! Instant re-charting.

Of course, I'm not really even sure how this process works.

I still say "Traffic and Weather" should've been their second Top 40 hit. Someone should somehow put that in a popular movie.

Don't go away mad... Just go away.
Fogg1969
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 2013-9-13 at 11:50 AM

There's presently a "pop punk" compilation album being promoted heavily on UK tv and the ad has a snippet of Stacy's Mom. I'm guessing that's where the interest's come from.

Here's the ad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6G7diSXZM
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-9-15 at 08:10 AM

That ad brought back some good memories. I always thought that Fountains of Wayne had some great rockier moments that should have captured more of the pop punkers...
scratchedguitar
Karpet King

Mood: Still Breathing

[*] posted on 2013-10-16 at 12:50 PM

Wheatus only re-charted because One Direction covered their track xD.

Is that what we want... really? :P

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-16 at 02:40 PM

Yeah, I've worked out that this was obviously related to the song being back in the spotlight somehow.

My favourite Australian singer, Daryl Braithwaite, had a massive hit with his cover of Ricki-Lee Jones' "The Horses" here in 1991.

It was recently covered by some wannabe on one of the various TV talent shows here.

Lo and behold, Daryl's original version is back in the lower regions of the charts.

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-10-17 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by scratchedguitar  
Wheatus only re-charted because One Direction covered their track xD.

Is that what we want... really? :P

I don't care who covers the track as long as it does the band some good. Most popstars have ghost writers who come from more humble backgrounds e.g. Goldfinger wrote for Britney Spears, the British rock band "A" wrote for McFly etc etc. Ultimately we will still enjoy the original tune (and even if we don't then surely the rest of their catalogue makes up for it) and the band gets a wedge from the royalties!
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Sweet

[*] posted on 2013-11-2 at 03:41 PM

My first thought was that someone covered it on the X-Factor TV programme. Upwards of 10 million people watch it every week and the original version of a performed cover often ends up in the charts the following week. I'd guess there would be a video on YouTube if it had been covered though, and as I can't find one maybe the song was just featured somehow. There is a recent YouTube video titled "Nick Tangorra ( as seen on XFactor) covers Stacy's Mom...": www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJoT0V5whpc‎

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top