Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HALLELUJAH - NEW Fountains of Wayne TOUR DATES (WITH SOUL ASYLUM)
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-8 at 04:35 AM

Yeah, I tend to post most news articles I find, regardless of shitness levels of said articles...

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Life Is Beautiful

[*] posted on 2013-10-9 at 09:33 PM

The show in D.C. ended a few minutes ago (I'm typing from my phone, in case you're wondering how I got to this so soon), and I would say it goes right above the Old 97's/Drive-By Truckers show I saw in March as the best concert I've ever been to.

Evan Dando's set was really short; like, barely a half-hour. I wasn't really into it. The whole "one-guy-singing-onstage-with-an-electric-guitar" thing wasn't really working for me. I feel like he would've been better off with an acoustic or a full backing band. I just imagine the way he played was frustrating for people (like me) who don't know many of his songs. He still sang well, so my interest was somewhat maintained. I wonder why he only played for about 25 minutes. That got everyone else started earlier, though.

In the 5+ years since I first saw them, this may have been the best Soul Asylum performance I've seen. I'd love to tell you all about what songs they played that I was excited about hearing live for the first time, but I don't know if any of you would really care. But the addition of Winston and Justin (their bassist and guitarist), who are a little younger, has really given the band the boost of energy they need, and it's nice that they've been changing up their set lists to go with this. Gosh, I love Soul Asylum so much...

Fountains of Wayne played a much better show than I was expecting, and I'm sure much of that is thanks to the songs they brought back. As expected, they kicked it off with I've Got a Flair and then went into Mexican Wine, followed by a Dip in the Ocean. I can't remember the order from then on, but they played Red Dragon Tattoo, Valley Winter Song, Bright Future in Sales, Hey Julie, the Summer Place, No Better Place, Someone to Love, I-95, and they finished the main set with Sink to the Bottom. Also, like the last few shows, they brought back You Curse at Girls, and they also played Joe Rey. When they played Joe Rey, that's when it really started to feel energetic, and that was the most exciting part for me. In the encore, they started off with Cemetery Guns. I think that's the only Fountains of Wayne song I still don't know all the words to. Then, like the last few shows, they brought back Peace and Love, which Chris screwed up a couple times, apparently like the last few shows. Then they played It Must Be Summer, which was a nice surprise. I was also happy to hear the electric version of Stacy's Mom. As tired as I am (or should be) of that song, the novelty of the lounge version was really wearing thin, so the original version was pleasant. Then they finished it off with Radiation Vibe, and Chris threw out a guitar pick, which I picked up and gave to my girlfriend. She really enjoyed the show, too, which was great, considering it was her first Soul Asylum show and her first Fountains of Wayne show. We didn't get to talk to anyone afterward (though Jody was up on the balcony talking to someone, but I dunno. We just didn't talk to anyone we probably could have talked to.). Overall, I give this show a 10/10; would download the bootleg recording. Or not. I dunno. If the opportunity came up. Gosh, I love Fountains of Wayne so much...

Also, as a bit of a bonus for me, Mother May I's "All the Way In" was played over the loudspeakers after the show was over. Of course, it was understandable that the 9:30 Club would play one of their songs considering MMI is from D.C., but they're another one of my favorite bands, so it was nice to hear them unexpectedly.

Don't go away mad... Just go away.
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-10-10 at 12:58 PM

I love hearing good reviews from real fans about their shows but it does make me wish that they would do a proper world tour (including a 4 month residency in Australia for Sherb). I just reread the 2011 European Tour thread and they said that they would be playing Europe in 2012 but I doubt they will come here again until they do some new material.

I am impressed with their variety of tunes.
Dreske
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2013-10-11 at 08:59 PM

Did anyone go to the Pittsburgh show? I have seen them 6 times and this was probably my least favorite show. The band seemed pissed at each other. They put on a good performance but there was no interaction between them. I know Adam was pissed because his mic wasn't working properly and the keyboard only worked half the time. The turnout was low. I hope this doesn't affect any future touring.

Still my guitar gently weeps
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-10-12 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dreske  
Did anyone go to the Pittsburgh show? I have seen them 6 times and this was probably my least favorite show. The band seemed pissed at each other. They put on a good performance but there was no interaction between them. I know Adam was pissed because his mic wasn't working properly and the keyboard only worked half the time. The turnout was low. I hope this doesn't affect any future touring.

Yeah, someone on Soul Asylum's forums went to that show and wondered who the dumbass promoter was that gave Fountains of Wayne the closing set because they got boring fast. She went with her parents and she said her mom rushed for the door halfway through Fountains of Wayne's set. From your information, though, I'm thinking it was just a bad night for them.

It would be nice if they smiled a little more, though. Like, when they were at the 9:30 Club last year, I noticed Adam smiled a little bit when singing the songs that he wrote (as opposed to Chris's), but this time, he was mostly frowns. It seems like it could be affecting their performances when they're not actually enjoying them.

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-12 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Flyscorpio  
The show in D.C. ended a few minutes ago (I'm typing from my phone, in case you're wondering how I got to this so soon), and I would say it goes right above the Old 97's/Drive-By Truckers show I saw in March as the best concert I've ever been to.

Evan Dando's set was really short; like, barely a half-hour. I wasn't really into it. The whole "one-guy-singing-onstage-with-an-electric-guitar" thing wasn't really working for me. I feel like he would've been better off with an acoustic or a full backing band. I just imagine the way he played was frustrating for people (like me) who don't know many of his songs. He still sang well, so my interest was somewhat maintained. I wonder why he only played for about 25 minutes. That got everyone else started earlier, though.

In the 5+ years since I first saw them, this may have been the best Soul Asylum performance I've seen. I'd love to tell you all about what songs they played that I was excited about hearing live for the first time, but I don't know if any of you would really care. But the addition of Winston and Justin (their bassist and guitarist), who are a little younger, has really given the band the boost of energy they need, and it's nice that they've been changing up their set lists to go with this. Gosh, I love Soul Asylum so much...

Fountains of Wayne played a much better show than I was expecting, and I'm sure much of that is thanks to the songs they brought back. As expected, they kicked it off with I've Got a Flair and then went into Mexican Wine, followed by a Dip in the Ocean. I can't remember the order from then on, but they played Red Dragon Tattoo, Valley Winter Song, Bright Future in Sales, Hey Julie, the Summer Place, No Better Place, Someone to Love, I-95, and they finished the main set with Sink to the Bottom. Also, like the last few shows, they brought back You Curse at Girls, and they also played Joe Rey. When they played Joe Rey, that's when it really started to feel energetic, and that was the most exciting part for me. In the encore, they started off with Cemetery Guns. I think that's the only Fountains of Wayne song I still don't know all the words to. Then, like the last few shows, they brought back Peace and Love, which Chris screwed up a couple times, apparently like the last few shows. Then they played It Must Be Summer, which was a nice surprise. I was also happy to hear the electric version of Stacy's Mom. As tired as I am (or should be) of that song, the novelty of the lounge version was really wearing thin, so the original version was pleasant. Then they finished it off with Radiation Vibe, and Chris threw out a guitar pick, which I picked up and gave to my girlfriend. She really enjoyed the show, too, which was great, considering it was her first Soul Asylum show and her first Fountains of Wayne show. We didn't get to talk to anyone afterward (though Jody was up on the balcony talking to someone, but I dunno. We just didn't talk to anyone we probably could have talked to.). Overall, I give this show a 10/10; would download the bootleg recording. Or not. I dunno. If the opportunity came up. Gosh, I love Fountains of Wayne so much...

Also, as a bit of a bonus for me, Mother May I's "All the Way In" was played over the loudspeakers after the show was over. Of course, it was understandable that the 9:30 Club would play one of their songs considering MMI is from D.C., but they're another one of my favorite bands, so it was nice to hear them unexpectedly.

Many thanks for that review.

I really appreciate it when people take the time to post detailed reviews of the show, for those of us who can't make it along it gives us a bit of feel of what it was like.

Thanks again. :)

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-10-23 at 10:23 AM

Yes, thanks Flyscorpio for the write-up. There aren't many places to talk about Fountains of Wayne, so I appreciate hearing what others have to say.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-24 at 01:33 PM

Here's a review of the recent show at The Vogue, Vogue, Vogue, Vogue........................

Review: Fountains of Wayne at The Vogue
http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/review-fountains-of-wayne-a...

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-26 at 09:58 PM

Here is an article from a coupla weeks back featuring an audio interview with Adam.

This Weekend's N.H. Arts Scene: Mary Pickford And Fountains Of Wayne
http://nhpr.org/post/weekends-nh-arts-scene-mary-pickford-an...

Bit of a "meh" review of their show at Sands Bethlehem Event Center. Mind you, it's hard to take a review seriously when they can't even get the lead singer's name correct (the story originally had Adam doing lead vocals...clowns):

REVIEW: Soul Asylum, Fountains of Wayne at Sands Bethlehem Event Center show best, worst of 1990s music
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2013/10/soul-asylum...

Actually, here is the same article, but this time from the online version of the Morning Call (the previous link was the Morning Call's blog), which still has Adam listed as lead singer. As I said, clowns...:)
http://articles.mcall.com/2013-10-13/entertainment/mc-homepa...

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-27 at 02:38 AM

Here's a preview of the Chicago show.

Sorry these are a bit haphazard, I'm pretty disorganized at the moment....:(
IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Fountains of Wayne
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/23189036-421/sto...

Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-10-28 at 02:25 PM

Man, I almost went to the Bethlehem show, too, but we didn't wanna drive three hours to see it. It's a shame 'cause Groupon was doing a good deal for tickets (like, $10 each, and four tickets went for $10.50 on eBay). And now that I see they played "Amity Gardens"...

I wonder if Fountains of Wayne would've gotten less backlash if they played before Soul Asylum. I really feel bad that such a potentially great tour had to get them such negative reception... I know SA got headliner in Minneapolis, as they should have, which makes sense, given that it's their hometown.

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-10-30 at 09:44 AM

Wow, they played Amity Gardens!!! That would have been awesome to see. I am glad they are breaking out some different tunes from their back catalogue. Here is a video of them playing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYjHws6Hvo

I read one of the reviews that said about Cemetery Guns being written for Chris's father after he died. I suspect they got it mixed up with Imperia.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top