Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HALLELUJAH - NEW Fountains of Wayne TOUR DATES (WITH SOUL ASYLUM)
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Life Is Beautiful

cool.gif posted on 2013-8-1 at 01:24 PM
HALLELUJAH - NEW Fountains of Wayne TOUR DATES (WITH SOUL ASYLUM)

So if anyone happens to be in the Washington, D.C. area on October 9 (I'm not sure if anyone else lives around there, but I figured I would bring it up in case anyone wants to make the trip there), Fountains of Wayne is playing with Soul Asylum (another high-ranking favorite of mine) and Evan Dando (of the Lemonheads) at the 9:30 Club. I've already bought my tickets 'cause there's no way I'm missing out on that. They're $35, but considering all the acts performing, it's well beyond worth it, in my opinion.

It doesn't seem to be on anyone's website except the 9:30 Club, and I'm not sure if this is going to be a tour or just that one date (for whatever reason), but at least it's news. :)

Don't go away mad... Just go away.
nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-8-2 at 01:10 PM

Sounds like some kind of a benefit show (with that odd combination of acts.) As you say it's not on the Fountains of Wayne tour page, so who knows. Glad you were able to get tix.
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-8-2 at 08:21 PM

So the 9:30 Club removed the link and every other link I Googled was dead and it was starting to worry me that the show wasn't gonna happen, but now that Fountains of Wayne has stated that they're gonna announce the tour dates on the 8th, I can breathe a sigh of relief. I basically just got my tickets a week earlier than I was supposed to. :)

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-8-4 at 11:48 AM

Wow, that looks like a good show. I seem to remember that Fountains of Wayne have been on tour with the Lemonheads way way way back in the past. I saw the Lemonheads about 2 weeks after I first saw Fountains of Wayne and they were pretty good. I hope you have a good show.

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-8-6 at 10:11 AM

The new tour dates with Soul Asylum and Evan Dando announced:
http://www.fountainsofwayne.com/tour/

What's that? No Australian dates I hear you say? Welcome to my life. :crying:

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-8-6 at 10:12 AM

It looks like a darned good line up that and I hope those shows will be packed and have a good vibe.
Shame it did not start a month earlier, I might have been able to see one of the shows!
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-8-6 at 03:20 PM

My girlfriend has wanted to see all of my favorite bands that I've gotten her into in the past year-and-a-half (at least the ones that haven't already broken up over a decade ago). I've already taken her to see Old 97's and Drivin' N' Cryin' (we're gonna see DNC again this Friday :)). Fountains of Wayne and Soul Asylum are the only two she has yet to see, so it was nice of them to decide to tour together on the east coast just for us. :P

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-8-7 at 11:10 AM

Excited to see Fountains of Wayne again. I saw Evan once doing a solo show and it was really good, so this should be a nice gig. Getting my tix for Boston on Friday.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-8-11 at 01:28 AM

Tickets on sale Friday for Soul Asylum with Fountains of Wayne at First Ave.
http://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_23824203/tickets-...

tix on sale: Elvis Costello, Phosphorescent, Tera Melos, Born Ruffians, Fountains of Wayne, London Grammar & more
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/08/tix_on_sale_el...

Dreske
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2013-8-14 at 05:17 PM

Anyone going to Pittsburg?

Still my guitar gently weeps
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-8-16 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dreske  

Nah, a bit far for me......:)

And more news articles:

Three 'Iconic' Acts Coming to Tupelo
http://londonderry.patch.com/groups/arts-and-entertainment/p...

ROCK MUSIC MENU: On Sale This Week
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/08/15/entertainment/...

Fountains of Wayne team up with Soul Asylum, Evan Dando
http://www.bostonmusicspotlight.com/news-fountains-of-wayne-...

Soul Asylum, Fountains of Wayne and the Lemonheadsí Evan Dando hitting the road
http://audioinkradio.com/2013/08/soul-asylum-fountains-of-wa...

Alt-rockers from 1990s, pop group from 2000s to play together at Sands Bethlehem Event Center
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2013/08/soul-asylum...

Fountains of Wayne, Soul Asylum, Evan Dando Hitting Road Together
http://www.glidemagazine.com/38700/fountains-of-wayne-soul-a...

Soul Asylum, Fountains Of Wayne Plot October Run
http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=806338

FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE, SOUL ASYLUM, EVAN DANDO (LEMONHEADS) announce Fall Tour...
http://www.therockfather.com/grownups/item/1391-fountains-of...

Fountains of Wayne Touring This Fall With Soul Asylum and Evan Dando (Dates)
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/08/fountains_of_w...

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-8-16 at 11:47 PM

Chris Collingwood is, something about joining the Pro Team!!!
puppylover10170
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: excited!

[*] posted on 2013-8-18 at 04:19 PM

I am hoping to!!! I will let you know :)

falling down to the same defeats and
only growing old on Holland Street.

ajelenic0420.deviantart.com
nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-9-30 at 07:10 AM

Will be at the Boston show tonight. It'll be a long night (that's a good thing) as Evan Dando puts on a good show. Not a big Soul Asylum fan but I'm sure they will be fine too.

The setlist from Saturday night in Burlington looks like pretty much of a greatest hits show. Wish they had a new song or two to try out...

I've Got a Flair
Mexican Wine
A Dip in the Ocean
Red Dragon Tattoo
Bright Future in Sales
Valley Winter Song
The Summer Place
Hey Julie
I-95
Denise
No Better Place
Someone to Love
Sink to the Bottom

Cemetery Guns
Peace and Love
Stacy's Mom
Radiation Vibe
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-9-30 at 10:23 AM

Looks like a pretty decent set. Shame there is no Joe Ray but I wouldn't complain if I saw that setlist. What where the middle tunes in Radiation Vibe?
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-9-30 at 01:00 PM

I'm getting so excited about this tour, though. Only nine more days before I see two of my favorite bands together on the same night. :D

A lot of people on Soul Asylum's forums were wondering who would be the last band playing these shows, which I'm sure they know for certain now, though I thought it would be assumed that Fountains of Wayne would be opening for SA. "Stacy's Mom" was never as big as "Runaway Train," as well as the other "Grave Dancers Union" singles, and I've always felt that Soul Asylum was a much better live band than Fountains of Wayne. Fountains of Wayne's still putting out great music, and there's not a single song I don't love, but in concert, they just seem bored, and I just feel like they're playing the same show all the time. It'd be nice if they'd change up the setlists more often; bring back some underused tracks.

All bashing aside, I'm still very excited for this show. I wonder if they're playing the original "Stacy's Mom" or if they're still playing the "lounge version."

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-9-30 at 01:18 PM

Fly:

Your comments are all quite valid. I think Fountains of Wayne has nurtured their touring base by sticking with it over the years, whereas it seems like SA haven't been out there as much (correct me if I'm wrong.) In Boston anyway, the combined tour is playing in a slightly larger venue than the last time Fountains of Wayne was in town, so maybe it makes sense for both bands to be a part of the "package". It would be cool if they all came out for the encore...not sure if that happened in Burlington

I don't know if Fountains of Wayne looks bored, exactly, but I agree that there aren't as many smiles as you'd like to see. I recall at the last show by them, the only time Adam smiled was during the "classic rock" medley. I don't think they'd bother touring if they don't enjoy it....they can't be getting rich playing for a few hundred people a night. As you say, it would be nice if they worked up a handful of lesser-played songs and maybe a couple of new ones.

If they came around more often I'd get sick of "the same old songs" but once every year and a half, it's still exciting.

I'll try to report back tomorrow.
nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-10-1 at 06:17 AM

Monday's show is Boston was excellent! Here's a rundown:

Evan Dando was due on-stage at 8:00. A couple minutes before, a roadie came onstage to tune Evan's guitar. He repeatedly fiddled around with it and kept making disgusted faces. He'd tune every string and then go back and re-tune them all over again. All of this is going on right in the middle of stage and the whole crowd is watching. After about 5 minutes another roadie came on and took over the tuning. He was doing some weird shit that I've never seen anyone do when tuning a guitar. So now it's about 8:10. Evan ambles onstage unannounced and after a 2-second discussion with the two roadies goes and picks up another guitar which he tunes himself (in about 1 minute) and starts the show.

May I just say that if you EVER have a chance to see Evan Dando perform, GO! He has the most amazing voice. I think I only knew about 2 or 3 of the songs that he played, but it didn't matter. Watching him all alone on a mostly darkened stage, singing to a hushed crowd of about 75 people, was just amazing. With that said, he looks terrible. He initially seemed to be bothered by the light. The jacket-thing he was wearing looked ill-fitting and uncomfortable. He could have been on something or just woke up or is just a burn-out, but he looked like hell. That was what made his beautiful, unweathered voice that much more amazing. You expected him to sound like Willie Nelson, but instead it was pure folky-rock heaven.

My favorite Lemonheads song is The Outdoor Type. I admit that there were tears in my eyes when he performed that flawlessly. It was one of those "music is magic" moments.

And then it got ugly. Since he was now running over (thank you idiot roadies) they went to put the house lights up after he finished a song, but he went right into the next one. The roadie on the side signaled "OK, one more." After that song ended, Evan looked down at his setlist and hit the first chord of the next song, at which point the roadie came over and took the guitar off him (Evan hadn't a clue that they wanted him to stop) and ushered him off the stage. No chance for final applause or for him to say good night. It was very weird and it left a very sour taste in my mouth in what otherwise was a short, fantastic performance.

Soul Asylum
I admit I only know their songs they used to play on the radio back in the 90's. Dave Pirner is still a cool rock n' roller. He's got kind of a Axl Rose thing going but seems like he'd be a nice guy, not a jerk like Axl. His voice was great and the band sounded excellent. They definitely were having a good time on stage and that goodwill transferred to he crowd, many of whom were singing along to every song. They played from 9 to about 10:15.

FOW
Came on right at 10:45 (oh these late night, work day shows are going to be the death of me). They definitely played a somewhat different set than the Burlington show, although most of it was the same. They made of point of saying that they were playing a couple of songs that they rarely perform. Adam introduced You Curse at Girls by saying that when they were starting out they would come up with song titles onstage and then make up the song to fit that title. For Peace and Love he noted that they had messed this song up royally at the previous show. When they played it, Chris forgot the 2nd or 3rd verse and Adam had to tell him what it was. Overall I would say that Mexican Wine and The Summer Place were my favorites. (And if I never hear Cemetery Guns again, that'll be just fine.)

Even though it was "the same old songs" they really don't get old for me. The playing was tight and engaging. FYI, a good percentage of the crowd was there to see Soul Asylum, so when SA finished many people who had been standing up front either left or just wandered away. Keep an eye out for this at future shows on this tour. Seizing that opportunity, I was able to walk up and be in the second row, directly between Chris and Adam. While the bass was too loud standing that close, it was amazing to hear their harmonies firsthand.

Speaking of how bad Evan Dando looked, I must say that Jodie looked great. He usually has a bunch of beer bottles on stage with him and goes for a long pull off them between songs. Last night I don't think he was drinking (on stage) at all. Hopefully he's got his shit together.
I thought they were going to do some Classic Rock songs during Radiation Vibe...it seemed like they were ready to, but it didn't happen. They wrapped up at midnight after the same 4-song encore as Burlington.

One last observation....Looking around at the audience, it was mostly middle-aged men (I'd say the mix was 65/35 Men to Women.) I wonder if that's weird for the band to be playing to a bunch of old geezers (with me being the #1 geezer) who are all up front singing along to every song? At least they were able to bring up a few girls (and one guy) to play percussion for Hey Julie.

I have to say that I was surprised that the show was FAR from sold out. (If you know The Paradise, they didn't even open the balcony, which means there were probably only 400-500 people at the show.) Not that I'm complaining, but I would have thought that the two bands would have drawn a bigger audience.

OK, that's about it. Another great show. Hope y'all enjoy them when they come around to your area.
Seth Shapiro
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2013-10-1 at 08:22 AM
Excellent Review

Thanks for this. I'm glad to hear the tour is going well.
Cheers
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-10-1 at 08:43 AM

That is a great review, on Jody Porter's Facebook page he said that Evan Dando was using his new signature guitar (which is amazing and expensive!!!).

It might be that Evan's guitar had a problem with the Intonation.
Flyscorpio
Bright Future in Sales

[*] posted on 2013-10-1 at 01:54 PM

I'm actually surprised that Soul Asylum opened for Fountains of Wayne (I don't know why I didn't think about that when I saw that they did an encore), especially when comparing their overall success, though I guess that can't always be the main factor after all. No matter. I will still be singing along with all 3-ish hours of their performances.

That sounded like a great show. I'm also surprised about it not selling out. You'd think the combined fans of both bands (including the overlaps) would 'cause the venue to be packed.

I've got several Lemonheads albums and have listened to hardly any of them. I should probably get to that if I wanna be prepared for Evan's performance.

I'll always remember one of my favorite parts of "Reality Bites" being at the end when Evan's character appeared and was arguing with a girl, and he said "I'm Audi 5000" and left. It's probably funnier when you watch it. (Fun Fact: Dave Pirner [Soul Asylum] also made an appearance in this film. I love connections like this. :))

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2013-10-1 at 04:01 PM

OMG.....they played peace and love AND you curse at girls?! actually I love peace and love ...I think its an indie sounding masterpiece... you curse at girls I think is good...but I am just amazed that they ..mein gotten...stepped outside the usual iron clad pool of approved songs..even if just for the encore.

I'm sorry but they are getting stale setlist wise. IMO....only stacys mom,red dragon,hey julie and valley winter song are required. NOBODY would care if any of those other songs were left out.

but see,only me and a few die hards care so there is nothing in it for Fountains of Wayne to learn or play a fresh setlist after 20 freakin years. if it comes down to only like 4 songs are really needed...throw out the fuckin pool of stale ass songs. adam,chris,jody brian are becoming old. I dont just mean in age I mean old thinking. you know...safe....why shake the tree up, let just keep churnin the butter.thats not rock and roll. thats las vegas lounge.

anyways bitchin aside I'm going to try and make rochester and buffalo shows. and hope and pray to my lord and saviour jesus christ they play something cool like traffic and weather or working mans hands. also would love if they came to syracuse.its so close!

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-10-2 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by intown2007  
...only stacys mom,red dragon,hey julie and valley winter song are required.

See I thought they always played Winter Valley Song in Boston due to the Baystate connection. I don't think of that as "required". I bet they could drop Red Dragon and Julie and people wouldn't mind either. As long as they played a few other songs in their place, I'd be fine with that. They really don't need to play Stacey for me, but there are definitely some people who are only there for that and would be upset if they didn't get what they came for.

P.S. I went back to my Lemonheads CD and was surprised that Evan didn't write Outdoor Type (Tom Morgan did) since he always plays that in concert.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2013-10-7 at 01:37 PM

Fountains of Wayne and Soul Asylum rock at Webster Hall

http://www.examiner.com/article/fountains-of-wayne-and-soul-...

nhsgary
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2013-10-7 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sherb  
Fountains of Wayne and Soul Asylum rock at Webster Hall

http://www.examiner.com/article/fountains-of-wayne-and-soul-...

Sounds like a robot (one that was programmed by a doctor) wrote this last part:
Delivering their catchy, infectious pop-rock songs with an infectious energy, Fountains of Wayne put on a show that was enjoyed by fans of all ages.

INFECTIOUS!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top