Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: European tour thread
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Sweet

[*] posted on 2011-11-10 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rrrick
they definitely will be back next summer for more shows.

Awesome news, and I haven't even seen them tomorrow night yet. :D

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-10 at 12:52 PM

I just got back from London and man that was an ace show! Jody was on FIRE! I think he was really having a lot of fun and it showed! He certainly has a Keith Richards look about him when he plays!

I was worried that the dedicated keyboard player would make the show a bit less like them but I didn't notice the absense.

I hope they play the Valley of Malls tomorrow night!

I thought the best tune (and it was hard to choose) was Dip in the Ocean!
rrrick
Lost in Space

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fogg1969

Radiation Vibe --> Jet --> Mad World --> Peter Frampton --> Something I'm not familiar with. They all sounded great though.

For the show in Utrecht we had a fun variation. Instead of Peter Frampton's song they played a bit of 'Twilight Zone' a hit by local favorites Golden Earring (which made it in to the U.S. top 10 back in the early '90's.)
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 06:01 AM

Last night at Manchester was great. They changed the set around a bit. As far as I can remember it was:

Little Red Light
I've Got a Flair
It Must be Summer
Someone to Love
No Better Place
Richie and Ruben
Cold Comfort Flowers
The Summer Place
Valley Winter Song
Hey Julie
Dip in the Ocean
Barbara H
Mexican Wine
Radiation Vibe (5 songs in the middle, sounded similar to the London shows tunes but in a different order).

Cemetary Guns
I 95
Stacy's Mum
Survival Car
Sink to the Bottom

It was a good set but I felt that they should have kept Joe Ray in there because that was a really awesome tune to hear live.

There were a few technical problems like Chris's mic cut out at one point and there was an odd click that kept coming through the PA. Still they played really well and it was a great show. I was made up because I got to play percussion (badly) for Hey Julie.

At the end of the show Jody and Adam came out and signed some stuff for me.

I read on Jody's twitter that the tour was a sell out before they even got over here. Hopefully that will encourage them to come back.
Fogg1969
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 07:29 AM

I'm glad I did both gigs. The set was sufficiently different to make it worthwhile. I'd not have heard Hackensack AND I've Got A Flair if I'd only done the one.

The Radiation Vibe improv bit was different, Adam did Foreigner's Down and Dirty and the Peter Frampton sing wasn't done. I'll have to find out which Billy Squiers song Jody does, I really like that. TBH I'd pay to see Fountains of Wayne just cover 70s rock for their whole set, they do it so well.

TBH I didn't particularly enjoy the 'easy listening' version of Stacy's Mom too much. I'm sure they've played it to death, and have got bored with it, but I'd rather them not play it at all than deliver that sanitised version. YMMV.

It was nice to see Jody and Adam come out after the gig. Jody dodged me, but that's fair enough. It's the third time I've seen him in a fortnight, what with that Campbell Apartment gig, and he probably has me flagged as a stalker.

I had my photo taken with Adam though, and he confirmed Fountains of Wayne are planning to come back next year. Whoo! I also caught Chris's pick when he threw it into the crowd. Quality souvenir there!

All told a great night. Roll on 2012.
Fogg1969
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 08:27 AM

Found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oox6CoGSwPY
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 09:30 AM

I loved the Manchester gig, and I enjoyed the version of Stacy's Mom. It was funny when Chris changed the lyrics slightly but Adam followed up with the original. Everything from the debut sounded awesome, as did the new songs. It's a shame only one song from Utopia Parkway was played, but anyway - it was a great night that flew by. :D

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex H
I loved the Manchester gig, and I enjoyed the version of Stacy's Mom. It was funny when Chris changed the lyrics slightly but Adam followed up with the original. Everything from the debut sounded awesome, as did the new songs. It's a shame only one song from Utopia Parkway was played, but anyway - it was a great night that flew by. :D

It was the same at London with only Red Dragon Tattoo getting played. Its a shame because that album is absolutely awesome!

I like the slowed down version of Stacy's Mom but I know what you mean, if you wait 4 years to see them then it would be nice to hear the original. Still they do play it so maybe when they return we will have that then!

I wonder if their next tour will include some festival dates?
Fogg1969
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 11:08 AM

I didn't hate slowed down Stacy's Mom, I just didn't consider it a magic moment, and though I'm speaking for myself I got the impression that it wasn't a huge crowd pleaser. It just didn't seem right to me, every bit as wrong as trying to play Valley Winter Song in the style of the Ramones.

FoW have such a strong back catalogue now. To think I've been to two great gigs this week with different sets, yet I've not heard Go Hippie, Sick Day, Leave The Biker, Everything's Ruined, Troubled Times, Bought For a Song, Maureen, and New Routine - Amongst many others.

They really need to go Springsteen, I think, and begin to get busy with 3hr sets.
DjimiPaij
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2011-11-12 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
It was nice to see Jody and Adam come out after the gig. Jody dodged me, but that's fair enough.
Gah, they didn't do that for London, boo-hoo. Don't worry, I'm not gonna get all Eminem's Stan on them, but it's been 4 years and really wanted to meet them.

I didn't mind the loungey Stacy's Mom. Though I woulda traded either version for Denise.

I've put my other video clips from Scala up on my awesome YouTube channel:rock:

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-13 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DjimiPaij
I've put my other video clips from Scala up on my awesome YouTube channel:rock:

Those are some nice clips right there. And by the looks of things I was standing in front of you!
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-13 at 06:20 AM

Here's Radiation Vibe in Manchester: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuuxenT2j9I (some of you have probably already seen it judging by all the comments it has already). I wasn't going to post it due to all the tall people at the front, so I'm glad folk are enjoying it. :)

Denise would indeed have been awesome, but Troubled Times would have been even better - I've never seen that live even though it was on the setlist at least once.

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-13 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Here's Radiation Vibe in Manchester: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuuxenT2j9I (some of you have probably already seen it judging by all the comments it has already). I wasn't going to post it due to all the tall people at the front, so I'm glad folk are enjoying it. :)

Denise would indeed have been awesome, but Troubled Times would have been even better - I've never seen that live even though it was on the setlist at least once.

Thats a nice video. I forgot Brian ran off the stage at the beginning of the tune. Wonder what all that was about!
sabu57
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2011-11-13 at 07:32 AM

Fantastic show in Manchester, and I'm so glad I finally got the chance to see them. I was really pleased to see a long queue for a Fountains of Wayne gig, so we waited in Costa across the road until it died down. Thus, we only actually spent a minute in the line to see Opeth, who were playing next door - d'oh !! Thankfully, the Club Academy was a much more intimate venue with a reasonable sound and visibility.

David Mead was well received, and performed very well given the lack of a band. I've followed him on-and-off over the years, and will now catch up on his later albums after this performance.

FOW were excellent and didn't disappoint, although I guess we all have favourites which were neccesarily omitted. As Nick Lowe says "so many songs, so little time". I'd love to have heard SGBYH from the new album, plus RDT and TT from Utopia Parkway, but wouldn't care to choose a song to drop. I guess I'm in favour of 3 hour concerts too!!

I'm all for the lounge version of SM. If that song was the main reason anyone went to see them, I can see them being dismayed, but I doubt that was the case for anyone in the audience on Friday, who seemed largely familiar with the entire catalogue.

The sense of joy in the club was palpable, and I can't say I've been amongst a nicer bunch of people in a very long time.
MickL
Half a Woman

[*] posted on 2011-11-13 at 01:08 PM

Very enjoyable 3 days away and happy with setlist variations between the 2 shows. Of course there were lots of songs I'd wished they'd played but it aint gonna happen; so no complaints. I think I enjoyed Manchester better if only because of the venue. I can take or leave new version of Staceys Mom against album version but still feel that 20% of audience are there for that song and Welcome Interstate Managers album, so give the people what they want.

With Manchester being a university and a lot people inside we were free to walk around beforehand. Managed to catch the very end of the sound check (mexican wine) and had a brief chat with Chris who was unsure about any UK dates next year so am encouraged by other positive posts of a return in the summer. Only problem I have with these smaller venues is that they get too full.

On another note, saw a lad at the bar with the same teenage fanclub shirt that I wore in London on wed. get on the bus folks; these are a cracking band.

Can only hope that Fountains of Wayne carry on and dont wait another 4 years for tour / album as most bands tend to do these days as I think last album was a cracker.

Keep the faith!
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-14 at 11:34 AM

I think the fact that these dates were so full will only serve to remind them that there is a BIG and solid fan base over here. Lets hope they don't forget us.
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-14 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MickL
I can take or leave new version of Staceys Mom against album version but still feel that 20% of audience are there for that song and Welcome Interstate Managers album, so give the people what they want.

That leaves 80% as the majority, so I think your maths is in reverse there. ;)

Quote:

On another note, saw a lad at the bar with the same teenage fanclub shirt that I wore in London on wed. get on the bus folks; these are a cracking band.

Many many years ago I bought Utopia Parkway after seeing it compared to Teenage Fanclub's Grand Prix. Now I'm not sure if I could decide between the two if I had to pick a favourite band.

DjimiPaij
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2011-11-14 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentRunningThose are some nice clips right there. And by the looks of things I was standing in front of you!
Thanks.
Ha, you shoulda said hello!

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-15 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DjimiPaij
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentRunningThose are some nice clips right there. And by the looks of things I was standing in front of you!
Thanks.
Ha, you shoulda said hello!

I would have done, unfortunately I did not realise it was yourself. We should have had forum members Fountains of Wayne T shirts printed!
Alex H
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-15 at 01:11 PM

I can't believe they played Troubled Times in Dublin! At least that means it's still on the radar so hopefully I'll get a chance to hear it live one day... :)

MickL
Half a Woman

[*] posted on 2011-11-15 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MickL
I can take or leave new version of Staceys Mom against album version but still feel that 20% of audience are there for that song and Welcome Interstate Managers album, so give the people what they want.

That leaves 80% as the majority, so I think your maths is in reverse there. ;)

Quote:

Many many years ago I bought Utopia Parkway after seeing it compared to Teenage Fanclub's Grand Prix. Now I'm not sure if I could decide between the two if I had to pick a favourite band.

Yeah; I can see that doesnt make sense! Point I wanted to make was that there are a lot of people going out of their way to see the band but it seems you still need the casual fans to fill the place.
Fogg1969
California Sex Lawyer

[*] posted on 2011-11-16 at 06:17 AM

One thing I missed this time round was Adam's unnecessary translations.

I've been amused in the past when he's gone to the trouble to say something like "Over here you guys use motorways" and go on to explain what an Interstate is before playing i95, or explain what DMV stands for before playing Yolanda Hayes. I often think "yeah, I know, we've been watching Hollywood talkies since the 1930s."

He seems to have hit that on the head. Shame, he could of spared me the hassle of wondering what the hell a queasy nard is and why you could be afraid of it.

I think I've got it now. Is it a generic name for a food processor?

rrrick
Lost in Space

[*] posted on 2011-11-16 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fogg1969
One thing I missed this time round was Adam's unnecessary translations.

In Utrecht they played Valley Winter Song right after Road Song, which lead Adam to explain that since both these songs were about 'songs' this was to be regarded as the 'song section' of the set.
likeahurricane
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2011-11-16 at 01:43 PM

Here are some more vids from the concert of Utrecht, including the medley

1. Little Red Light
2. I've Got a Flair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4yg0rj7Di8
3. Someone to Love
4. Denise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0TYU16C9A4
5. No better place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwoCWgnIRDc
6. Cold comfort Flowers
7. Richie and Ruben
8. Valley Winter Song
9. Road Song
10. Hey Julie
11. A dip in the Ocean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oh-yZ8-7HQ
12. Barbara H
13. Mexican Wine
14. Radiation Vibe / Jet (Paul McCartney & Wings) / Twillight zone (Golden Earring) / Mad World (Tears for fears)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qE0LVADyJI
------------------
Encore:
15. Cemetery Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMr5-76DU4
16. I-95
17. Stacy's Mom
18. Joe Rey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9m88SJ0ug
19. Sink to the Bottom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH6nmLoAWgU

support David Mead
Everyone knows it but you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqtrHbKUlNg
Wherever you are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOU-8itcmx8
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2011-11-17 at 11:25 AM

Wow, those are some great videos there. Thanks for posting them. I am impressed with the set list, it is a good mix of tunes, you got Denise!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top