Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Can't stand prosperity?
Stuporcollider
Head Bottle Washer

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2007-9-16 at 10:50 AM
Can't stand prosperity?

When I joined this board over a year ago, there was tons of activity. People were talking about which Fountains of Wayne songs were better or worse, which direction they thought the next cd would go and general blabiness. So now, we have a new cd, an ongoing tour and it's as if there is nothing to discuss. I will admit to being part of the problem, but it's going to take more than me to be the solution.

If I understand the history of this board, the activity will pick up in about 2-3 years when rumor of a new cd arises.

I guess we are all so happy to have new music, that we spend all our time listening and do not have the time to post.

Oh well......................it's dancing banana time.......:banoonoo:

It\'s been 6 months
She hasn\'t shut up once
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-9-16 at 11:00 AM

You're right. We should all be ashamed of ourselves. I think we all need to do our duty and post random nonsense until we find something worthwhile to talk about. :banoonoo:

fountainlover
Da Man

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 2007-9-16 at 07:23 PM

Oranges make me sick but I like apples :banoonoo:

:happydance: look at this dance, it's incredible :rotfl:

fountainlover
Da Man

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 2007-9-16 at 07:24 PM

I'm doing my part ;)

:happydance: look at this dance, it's incredible :rotfl:

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2007-9-17 at 04:25 AM

Yeah, it is pretty odd isn't it? Especially given how many Fountains of Wayne fans are out there.

I've tried to do my best over the years, posting assorted rubbish on a regular basis, but I am one of the few "originals" left posting regularly now. :(

Anyway, this is a good board with good people and it will continue on with the same ups and downs I guess. :)

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-9-17 at 07:13 PM

I have a theory about this.

now we know they draw good crowds where they play,so obviously it makes sense that they should have alot of fans posting about the band but they really dont.

its the age thing. yeah they have alot of fans but I believe they are older fans around the age of the band. wives,children,morgages.....fountains of wayne is a sort of brief respite from the hassles of being older and having familys essencially nothing more.

these people happen across promotion about Fountains of Wayne coming to town and they haphhazardly make plans to see them perform live, get a little bit drunk, mission accomplished, nothing more.

when your young and into a young band and free and single, man you get IN to the band. they are your world. not so much when we get older.
-dc-
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2007-9-19 at 08:37 PM

What keeps boards like this going is a dynamic group of posters who can find different ways to frame discussions of the band. What helps tremendously is how revelant the music is -- not only to the individual fan, but to the the general public.

Beyond chart success and heavy rotation, It helps to have band memmbers noted for their individuality and quotability. It takes more than summertime pop hits and appearances on late-night TV to earn a place in the pantheon of RNR greatness. I don't deny that Fountains of Wayne has the potential. but they still have some dues to pay.
laskey16mrl
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Untouchable

[*] posted on 2007-9-20 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by intown2007
I have a theory about this.

now we know they draw good crowds where they play,so obviously it makes sense that they should have alot of fans posting about the band but they really dont.

its the age thing. yeah they have alot of fans but I believe they are older fans around the age of the band. wives,children,morgages.....fountains of wayne is a sort of brief respite from the hassles of being older and having familys essencially nothing more.

these people happen across promotion about Fountains of Wayne coming to town and they haphhazardly make plans to see them perform live, get a little bit drunk, mission accomplished, nothing more.

when your young and into a young band and free and single, man you get IN to the band. they are your world. not so much when we get older.

I agree with this. :cheers:
funkymunky
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: got a license to lurve

[*] posted on 2007-9-20 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fountainlover
Oranges make me sick but I like apples :banoonoo:

you know I'm Exactly the opposite!!

Uh I don't post for the fear that everyone hates me and won't want me to to say anything at all

But I presume most other people just have busy lives

:D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tornscarecrow
Karpet King

Mood: Strapped for cash

[*] posted on 2007-9-21 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, I would have to agree. I kind of over-listened to the album in April and May and didn't listen to it much this summer. I do like it, though. I hope they do another one sooner rather than later. And I still have to see them live. I was out of town when they were near me in June.
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2007-9-23 at 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by funkymunky
Uh I don't post for the fear that everyone hates me and won't want me to to say anything at all

Your fear is unfounded funky. Please - post away. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by funkymunky
But I presume most other people just have busy lives

That is the case I think.

In my case, I co-manage another site, plus post regularly on another, plus have a zillion other things happening in my life as well.

I am sure everyone else has similar issues. :)

So we can't expect the site to rollick along all the time I guess.

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2007-9-23 at 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tornscarecrow
I kind of over-listened to the album in April and May and didn't listen to it much this summer. I do like it, though. I hope they do another one sooner rather than later. And I still have to see them live.

That is almost precisely my position as well. :)

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-9-24 at 10:46 AM

Well this topic has inspired me to find out what my password is and start some serious posting again!!!!!

Not that I ever did any serious posting.
Stuporcollider
Head Bottle Washer

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2007-12-14 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentRunning
Well this topic has inspired me to find out what my password is and start some serious posting again!!!!!

Not that I ever did any serious posting.

And have you posted lately?

tsk tsk tsk :clap:

It\'s been 6 months
She hasn\'t shut up once
SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-12-16 at 05:03 AM

I lost my password...... again!

Seems to happen every two weeks or so.
POWPOWFOW
Just a Hat and Feet

[*] posted on 2007-12-18 at 08:06 PM

I really want this board to start getting more active.

I just joined; I was getting sick of the AbsolutePunk.net forum after over 3 years, and I figured a Fountains of Wayne message board would be the best one to join. But it seems like there's only 1-5, if that many, posts per day on here, which is pretty disappointing.

So I think we should definitely things rolling on here, like it appears it used to; I don't know about you guys, that's just my 2 cents.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-12-19 at 11:40 AM

I think this board has the potential to be active, but everyone’s waiting for everyone else to post something……So, basically, the more nonsense you post…the more other people might be inspired to post…and someday, just maybe this place will be active again. I have endless amounts of free time and I never get sick of talking about Fountains of Wayne (although their actual music gets tiring after a while :P ), so I’m always around.

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-12-19 at 12:30 PM

Actually since you have come onto the board it has livened up. I mean there are a few old posts whirling around now with new activity.

Keep up the work.
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-12-19 at 02:12 PM

Yes, today has been quite exciting with all the chattin' going on. :cheers: :lol:

laskey16mrl
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Untouchable

[*] posted on 2007-12-19 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sooperfantastic
Yes, today has been quite exciting with all the chattin' going on. :cheers: :lol:

Hell yeah! The more the merrier.
supermati
Karpet King

[*] posted on 2007-12-20 at 11:13 AM

Hey I figured...

If Fountains have enough fans in Spain to throw 4, 5 shows, enough in Japan, some in Europe, 'lots' in america... , myself, from Argentina.

This place should be a little more busier...,

We should really start to advertise this board on other places, like in signatures, avatars or whatever on other sites or forums, that way, we can bait some other fans.

What you guys say?

sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-12-20 at 05:27 PM

I think it's a good idea. There's a livejournal community, but it's pretty inactive, so they probably don't care...but there seems to be a lot of fans on myspace, so maybe we can try to promote it there?

sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2007-12-21 at 02:00 AM

I am just about "posted out" on this site, my prolific posting days are certainly past me I think.

It has always surprised me why more people don't post here though, it is not as if Fountains of Wayne don't have enough diehard fans.

The only other stand alone fan website I know of for the band - Utopia Parkway on Yahoo Groups - has all but died off completely.

I know Eric made sure the address for this site was advertized in as many places as possible (eg it is on the Fountains of Wayne Wiki page for instance, as well as many music sites).

And do a Google search for "Fountains of Wayne" and Fountains of Wayne.us is the 7th entry.

So why more people don't come in, say hello and generally contribute I am not quite sure. :huh:

Edit - 1500 posts! :clap:

SilentRunning
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-12-21 at 12:38 PM

During this last week qwe have seen a hive of activity. I want to see this continue, because it is ace. I mean its a shame Sherb doesn't post more often but I understand. I suppose once that you can only be a prolific poster for a short amount of time. THen you do burn out. Its only natural.

Still this forum is one of the coolest forums around. It deals with FOuntains of Wayne.

I just hope that, sherb, you keep posting here because your relatively regular postings keep this place going!
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-12-21 at 04:55 PM

1500 posts! Wow, sherb, I am impressed. :D

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top