Fountains of Wayne
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How Important Is The Lyrical Content of Fountains of Wayne Songs To You?
sherb
Sheriff

[*] posted on 2007-7-2 at 04:25 PM
How Important Is The Lyrical Content of Fountains of Wayne Songs To You?

I am more a melody/harmonies/rhythm type person I have to say, they are the main attraction to me at all.

I find the lyrical content of a song to be of less importance than the above. You could change the lyrical content of a lot of Fountains of Wayne songs and it wouldn't make any difference to me.

At times when reading reviews it almost looks like the reviewers just read the lyric sheets and don't even listen to the songs themselves - essentially the lyrics are forming the basis for their analysis of the music.

So, I was wondering of everyone - how important are the lyrics in your love of Fountains of Wayne music?

I don`t remember, I don`t recall
I got no memory of anything at all......
sooperfantastic
All Kinds of Time

[*] posted on 2007-7-2 at 04:30 PM

Lyrics are important, but they aren't everything to me, and it annoys me when people only pay attention to how clever their lyrics are. Truthfully, the lyrics on Traffic and Weather overpower the songs...and I know some fans like that, but it really bugs me. I don't care if a song tells a story or not, I just want it to sound good. I think on Utopia Parkway it was a perfect combination of good sounds and clever lyrics, that's why it's such a perfect album. :P

Also, when lyrics get too goofy it gets a little distracting, like on Planet of Weed or Stacy's Mom.

fountainlover
Da Man

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 2007-7-2 at 05:12 PM

Melody is my number one priority, but lyrics are a close second.

I realy like the lyrics in Fire Island because it reminds me of something and for that reason i like that song better than say Hackensack.

But, on the other hand, I like Sink To The Bottom and Radiation Vibe better than Fire Island and the lyrics in they songs are not their best.

:happydance: look at this dance, it's incredible :rotfl:

intown2007
Too Cool for School

[*] posted on 2007-7-2 at 06:26 PM

i'm the same way. I notice music first and then sort of listen to what the lyrics are about.

I can tell you I am so sick of bands who put out generic titles like "in your eyes" or "I still love you" etc etc because you just know the lyrics are going to follow suit. generic and boring.

thats why I like Fountains of Wayne. they give provocative lyrics and subject matter.
laskey16mrl
Bright Future in Sales

Mood: Untouchable

[*] posted on 2007-7-3 at 08:18 AM

The lyrcis in Fountains of Wayne music are very important to me. I loved Welcome Interstate Managers and Traffic And Weather because of how the songs told stories. But like everyone else says, the actual sound of the song is much more important.
funkymunky
California Sex Lawyer

Mood: got a license to lurve

[*] posted on 2007-7-4 at 02:26 PM

I love Fountains of Wayne because of the all-round mixture, they have both clever lyrics and fantastic melodies, I like them more for getting both perfect

The lyrics are really important to me, I do like them way more for having lots of varied rhyme and devices and stories (but I'm an english student so I guess I'm taught to looooove that)

But I need the music badly or it wouldn't work at all

:D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Stuporcollider
Head Bottle Washer

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2007-7-4 at 02:46 PM

Well said!
Bravo! Bravo! :bigsmile:

It\'s been 6 months
She hasn\'t shut up once

Go To Top